It's just complicated. So, first, I have to manually create a txt file with domains, name that, add it with
Then, assign that adlist to a client.
So, if I ever want to change that adlist, the only thing I can do is log in to the main system, edit the file there, save it, update gravity lists, test it, rinse and repeat.
I am not a fan. I think it can be vastly improved.
My use case, let some microsoft domains through on my xbox that share the same name as my windows PC. To do this:
I check the query log (set to 100, checking multiple pages) and only show permitted, hoping I didn't block one that I need to use, and probably did. So I turn on both, and turn off all other devices and go through the log, testing on the 'default' list.
Then, after maybe half an hour or more of testing, I then make an adlist as described above, and assign it to a client.
Just reading that may sound simple but it's NOT something any human being would enjoy doing, and most people who have never used something like pi-hole would just give up.
Allow queries logged or in the domain management to be added in the GUI to any adlist--or even create one right there in the web interface. None of this host system file editing, updating gravity lists etc, just to do the proposed domain blocking per-client. This would allow me to just click on a domain that I want to allow or block for any client. In fact, I'm shocked it's never been implemented yet.
Addition: Another issue I have is the clients page. There's NOTHING I can do except turn something on or off. For someone who basically wants to block absolutely everything, I'd like to see this screen have a lot more options.
I want to see on the clients page, a way to click on each client, and see what domains are blocked or allowed on each client. This would 100% nullify the need for custom adlists which is exactly what I (and I assume many others) would like to be able to do.