Log size

Is there a way to manually increase the đefault capacity of the log file?

Do you mean the number of entries displayed on the web interface? There is no default limit to the size of the actual pihole.log file itself.

1 Like

I think you mean that you want to be able to see more than the current date's log data. You can do this by changing /etc/pihole/logrotate's daily directive to weekly or by specifying a size directive with something like 100M as the size.

Be aware that letting the log get too large will slow down the admin interface considerably. It would be wise to increase the timeout governing PHP script execution. I've seen a few posts about that.

1 Like

On a day I was running ubuntu I was getting alot of dns queries and all. Anyway, I wanted to check things out and it just stated that the log file was too large.
Sorry for being so vague.
The log file being to large on any given day since then has not happened.
Thanks for your time!
And yes, it was when I was trying to access the query log -it threw back something like 'log is too large to display'.

Very large logs will slow the web interface to an unusable speed. We're fixing that issue with the FTL engine that is in beta testing. But the log file itself can grow to as large as you have space for it, it's just the web interface that has issues at the moment.

2 Likes