Local DNS records

Expected Behaviour:

Removing entries from the local DNS frontend should remove those domains in the log

Actual Behaviour:

After removing all custom DNS records, entries in the log still show the client as the locally added domain

Steps taken

I ssh'd into the pi and checked the contents of local.list and custom.list in etc/pihole but they don't seem to contain the offender:

pi@raspberrypi:/etc/pihole $ cat custom.list 
pi@raspberrypi:/etc/pihole $ cat local.list
192.168.86.6 raspberrypi
2600:***:b0:****::30 raspberrypi
192.168.86.6 pi.hole
2600:***:b0:****::30 pi.hole
pi@raspberrypi:/etc/pihole $ 

Also flushed the network table in the pi.hole frontend

Those requests are blocked due to the domain being in your gravity database (which constitute from your adlists). If you want to access the domain, you need to whitelist it. This has nothing to do with your local DNS records.

The issue wasn't with the blocked domains, but rather the client that is making the request. I added a local dns entry of "unifi", and then removed it but it still showing in the logs

That screenshot was just meant to show the domain unifi itself rather than focus on the domain being blocked.

My mistake.

Pi-hole refreshed IPv4 hostnames only once an hour. (https://docs.pi-hole.net/ftldns/configfile/#refresh_hostnames). You might only need to wait a little (I guess you can speed this up with a restart of the DNS resolver). What's the upstream DNS server of your Pi-hole? Some public DNS server? Did you configure conditional forwarding?

No worries! thank you for the info. I will try restarting the DNS resolver.

Currently using unbound running on localhost

You know now that I look at it, the log entries are from yesterday and the domain is no longer showing in the logs. It does appear however that the network table still has it, even after flushing:

Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 1.36.00 PM

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.