Local DNS is slow

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

DNS queries to my local lan should be as fast as external queries

Actual Behaviour:

In /etc/hosts, I have an entry that looks like:
192.168.75.12 foo.mydomain.net foo

if I execute a "ping foo" from any machine on my network, the first ping (or ssh, or anything) takes several seconds to return. The pings themselves report 1-2ms.

But, "ping google.com" returns almost at once

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/ixjk3neu9u

Try enabling conditional forwarding. I suspect pihole is querying the wan dns server instead/before your hosts file. It could also be that you have a bad cable or some interference slowing things down locally.

From OP's debug log, conditional forwarding is enabled.

What is the output of a dig for one of the local domains listed in your hosts file? And then run the same command with time before it.

Thanks! I suspect it’s something to do with Proxy on my firewall/router (which is a Sonicwall TZ400). I tried enabling that earlier tonight and things got VERY flaky on my internal network. The DNS for my router has a choice to either point to my ISP’s DNS or to the PiHole. I’m not sure where to point it….. I have the proxy turned off now (back to “normal”) and want to wait a few hours (tomorrow morning) for caches to clear and then will try DIG and send you the results

Clay

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.