Little snitch or HOST file don't block certain domains. But thankfully Pi-Hole does

Hi,

I was wondering if someone had the same experience of trying to block a domain in the HOST file of the O.S. (in my case MacOSX).

And also blocking them with a shareware made specially for that :
Little snitch - Little Snitch

Even having setup these two "walls", I still see the blocked domain in my Pi-Hole query log.

Fortunately, the blacklist of the Pi-Hole work perfectly.

As a user of MacOSX, my computer ping apple server dozen times a day, and without Pi-Hole I didn't find any solution to stop that..

I have tried my allhost list 34 mb in a P4 XP box and scvhost consumes 1 CPU and no internet.
I have around 4 million in my PiHole on a Pi and there is a 3-5 min delay once you either Whilelist of blocklist a domain.
You are welcome to try these lists.
Welcome any feedback.
The yacysearchengine list does block google.
https://sw.undo.it/nextcloud/index.php/s/XW5YWcHE4j2qw9W

Hi Smokingwheels,

I stumble upon your list before, an impressive collection thanks for sharing.

My question was if someone have seen a website blocked in the HOST file (with 0.0.0.0) of the computer appear on Pi-Hole query log ?

Hey Avocette,

If you are using Little Snitch to block all apple.com traffic, then (assuming you set it up properly: including BOTH you and system (this would be separate rules within Little Snitch), then I assure you ZERO traffic is going to apple.com.

Keep in mind that a DNS query lookup is NOT going to apple.com, but going to your local DNS server. So for example, if the App Store app wants to connect to Apple to check for updates, your Mac will first query your DNS server for the address, but Little Snitch will block the actual connection to apple.com.

All this said, I might suggest that this level of paranoia toward Apple might be a bit misplaced. Yes, your Mac is trying to communicate with the mothership, but it can be for everything from their certificate server, to security updates,to file-quarantine definitions for GateKeeper, etc (and yes, some less-useful stuff like 'gamed' also tries to touch base with Apple as well). It's also worth noting that Little Snitch (as of version 4) has a preference setting for enabling or disabling rules for iCloud or macOS, so you can turn those on or off at will.

Hope this helps some...

maybe the os (also the apple flavour) is bypassing the host file. i know that windows bypasses firewall rules and host file entries for some of their domains, for which they think they have the right to change your elementary system settings.

Thanks for the feedback @Rick_V and @davekr8