Just installed - Seeing tons of <hostname>.lan and <hostname>.lan.lan in Query Logs

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

Running on brand new raspberryPi 4, 2gb variety. Installed using CURL script (not docker). Not sure why it is logging all of this.

Actual Behaviour:

Just Installed PiHole and got it working mostly correct (as far as I can tell). But I am getting tons of raspberrypi.lan and raspberrypi.lan.lan entries in my log query. I am not sure what I did wrong, and have no luck Googling the issue. Thanks for the help.

Debug Token:

orirovo4lt

You have defined your Pi-hole domain as LAN:

PIHOLE_DOMAIN=lan

These queries appear to be coming from the Pi itself.

[✓] IPv6 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
   2601:14e:4100:b5b:e508:d0c4:9d89:2fbe does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/use-ipv6-ula-addresses-for-pi-hole/2127)

Ok, thanks. So do I change the IPv6 address in the eth0 interface to match the /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf? or do the other way around? or it doesn't matter? Just make them match?

Sorry for the possibly dumb question...

Whatever IP addresses your machine is using, Pi-hole has to be made aware of them.
You can achieve that by running

pihole -r

and then chosing Reconfigure.

With regards to your IPv6 address, you should probably avoid using a public address (2000::/3 range). With a public IP, both your IPv6 prefix and the interface identifier are subject to change (the former by your ISP, the latter by IPv6 Privacy Extensions and the likes), and Pi-hole requires a stable address.
Consider to Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole.
If that isn't an option, try using your Pi-hole's link-local IPv6 address (fe80::/10 range).

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.