Just for fun - Gibson DNS Benchmark Results

For fun (and out of curiosity) I downloaded and ran Steve Gibson's DNS Benchmark program. It compares a number of well known DNS servers for performance running a number of types of queries. I'll spare you the tabular results (they'd be different for you anyway). Under the "Conclusions" tab, there are informative paragraphs describing a number of findings. These are the headlines I found interesting:

(Red X) "System has only ONE remote nameserver configured." That's because I only have one Pi running Pi-Hole.
(Green Check) "System's sole namesever is alive and replying to queries." Good to know my pi is working :slight_smile:
(Green Check) "System nameserver is faster than ALL public alternatives." (And I'm on a Pi Zero W over wifi)
(Green Check) "This system's nameserver is 100% reliable." (Meaning no dropped queries.)
(Green X) "This system's nameserver intercepts name errors." (In response to invalid DNS lookup requests - part of the filtering?)
(Green Check) "System nameserver is replying to all query types." (Gibson uses three query types.)

It's an interesting utility. More here:

https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

1 Like

Love that guy.
I believe he still codes in assembly to keep stuff snappy and tiny.