Issues with assigning a static IPv6 address (i.e., How to label an IPv6 device)

Summary: I'm having trouble assigning a static IPv6 address to my Windows 10 devices. I don't know what to put in the "default gateway" field (or how to get the settings to stick). However, my ultimate goal is just to label the devices that use the pi-hole the most, so I'm open to other solutions.

I know from this post how to assign labels to IP addresses. In order for those labels to make sense, I've assigned static IP(v4) addresses to several of my devices (using my router), and then labeled those particular static IP addresses by editing /etc/hosts.

A Windows 10 computer on my network is sending the majority of its traffic on an IPv6 address, which changes frequently. I would like to assign it a static IPv6 address so that I can label the device and consolidate that traffic under a single name.

Unfortunately, the interface to my Google Fiber router has no way to assign static IPv6 addresses (as far as I can see).

My next idea was to 'self-assign' a static IPv6 address in the Windows machine IPv6 settings dialogue. I entered the IPv6 address that had been dynamically allocated (by the router to the Windows 10 machine) as the static IPv6 address. As a side note, I did that because I didn't know what other valid IPv6 addresses were available. Like I previously mentioned, I don't know what to enter into the "default gateway" field (see the IPv6 settings dialogue illustration below).

I've also tried entering the "Default gateway" IPv6 address that is reported by ipconfig, but the settings dialogue won't accept it (i.e., it complains that it is "not a valid Default Gateway").
settings
At other times, the Windows settings dialogue will accept, without errors, what I've entered into the Default gateway field. For example, I looked up the self-reported IPv6 "LAN IP" of my Google Fiber router and entered that into the Windows 10 machine settings dialogue as the Default gateway. However, when I re-open the same dialogue box, the settings have mysteriously reverted back to "Obtain an IPv6 address automatically". (see the illustration directly below)

losttheipv6address
I'm considering disabling IPv6 outright on this particular machine, but Googling makes that seem like it might be a bad idea. If you have other ideas for naming the IPv6 traffic (from this Win10 machine) in Pi-Hole, I would also love to hear them.

You can do that whit a conf whit

dhcp-host=mac,[ipv6],hostname

I use my EdgeRouter Infinity for IPv6 dhcp

In Windows 10 you have to disable the Privacy Extensions. That way Windows will not change the IPv6 adress anymore.
You can do that in the powershell or netsh by using the following comands:

Set-NetIPv6Protocol -RandomizeIdentifiers Disabled
Set-NetIPv6Protocol -UseTemporaryAddresses Disabled
Restart-Computer

HTH & HAND

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.