IPv6 ULA and Fritzbox

I believe this should be the Location for the Fritz!Box (one of the recent Patches). I assume setting it to the last Option will activate it. If I'm understanding that correctly, activating that setting will give every IPv6 cabable Device a ULA including Pi-Hole and we can circumvent the changing IP Adress?

1 Like

I moved your thread from the FAQ page here, because you indicated that you want to discuss this first. We can later post to the FAQ itself, once we are sure how to deal with that.

I think so, too. I don't have a Fritzbox myself. So, please go ahead and try it out!

Good call, I've gone ahead and tried it, the Pihole got a ULA right after applying the Setting. I used your Code Snippets (altough I ran it with sudo -s because of the needed Permissions, otherwise it won't work on Raspian). Lastly I changed the Ipv6 DNS in my FB to the ULA.
Seems to work (at least for now) so this would be the Way for the Fritzbox I guess.

Okay, what is the model of your Fritzbox? I will add it on the FAQ page, if you have no objections - in the end it is your screenshot and you should agree before I modify (colorize) and use it :slight_smile:

Thanks for asking, you can add it, thats why I made it :slight_smile:
Sorry, I forgot to mention that, it's a Fritzbox Cable 6490 with Firmware 6.51

You should update to 6.80. :wink:

@DL6ER I'd like to add that this option is also available on my 7490 and probably all FRITZ!Boxes running FRITZ!OS >= 6.50. Unfortunately I can't find an exact changelog, however 6.50 includes the ULA setting and was the first version to allow setting a local DNS server without active Rebind Protection. This makes >= 6.50 a pretty good requirement to mention in the Wiki.

Thanks. I extended the text in the FAQ article.

1 Like

Yes, you are indeed right, unfortunately it's a Rental Box configured via Provider. I'm waiting for the new Fritzbox Cable to be presented and arrive so I can switch :wink:

Just a side note: My parents in law had a number of issues with their Fritzboxes in recent times (loosing Internet connectivity, replacement device did not do any better). Finally, they switched to a TP-Link "AC750-VoIP-WLAN-DSL-Router" and they are really satisfied with its performance. It seamlessly integrates into Telekom's VoIP Telephone system.

I think I'd never buy a Fritzbox because they are horribly overpriced...

Well, everyone is entitled to their own Opinion. I'm using Fritzboxes for the last few Years even flashed Speedports with Fritzbox Firmware and imho they have great and long Support. Never had any serious issues :slight_smile:

But you are indeed right, they are very expensive hence why I mostly look for them used to buy. Apart from that, I wouldn't even know right from my mind any good Cable Router :smiley:

1 Like

Oh right, Cable... I missed that.
I have no Cable connection at home and also non of my relatives lives where Cable would be available, so that is entirely unknown territory to me. I only know good-old telephone cable or fiber-to-the-home both of which will give you (at least) 50MBit/s even far out in the countryside thanks to Breitbandinitiative der Bundesregierung :slight_smile:

So what exactly do I select and enter?
I just select " Unique Local Addreses (ULA) immer zuweisen"?

Yes, that's all you have to do.

P.S.: I moved your question here, sorry for any inconvenience, but we try to keep the FAQ articles clean. Unfortunately, I cannot close this particular FAQ article as users should be able to post additional router screenshots if they like.

Ok thanks. Unfortunately it didn't solve my problem.
I don't know if this setting is only needed if your provided changes your IPV6 address regularly. That's not the case with my provided.

I still get long loading times on a website like http://rtlnieuws.nl (looking up cd.blueconic.net takes often more than 20 seconds and all that time I see only a complete white page) or http://nu.nl.

This page loads within less than 2 seconds for me (only default Pi-hole blocking lists).

We have to identify where exactly the delay is happening. Can yon confirm that with e.g.

dig cd.blueconic.net

it still needs a long time? What is the full output of this command?

Example when I do that:

peter@laptop ~ $ dig cd.blueconic.net

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Ubuntu <<>> cd.blueconic.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 5689
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cd.blueconic.net.		IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cd.blueconic.net.	5	IN	A	54.72.7.92

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
blueconic.net.		17691	IN	NS	ns-1401.awsdns-47.org.
blueconic.net.		17691	IN	NS	ns-2015.awsdns-59.co.uk.
blueconic.net.		17691	IN	NS	ns-72.awsdns-09.com.
blueconic.net.		17691	IN	NS	ns-764.awsdns-31.net.

;; Query time: 36 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.0.2#53(192.168.0.2)
;; WHEN: Tue Jul 04 13:10:54 CEST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 197

where you can see that dig in fact used my Pi-hole (IP address 192.168.0.2).

I don't know how to do this on my pc (windows 8.1) so I ran the command on the pi on which pihole is also running (mind you that also Home Assistant is running on the same pi).

This is the output:

pi@hassbian:~ $ dig cd.blueconic.net

; <<>> DiG 9.9.5-9+deb8u10-Raspbian <<>> cd.blueconic.net
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 125
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;cd.blueconic.net.              IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
cd.blueconic.net.       5       IN      A       54.72.7.92

;; Query time: 23 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Jul 05 12:13:01 CEST 2017
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 61

Seems the Authority section is missing? Might that be the issue?

By the way on my pc the delay (looking up host) happens in each browser (IE, FF and Chrome).

Here are some settings I have in my Fritzbox modem/router:
http://imgur.com/a/FfAsq (click to see more screenshots)

No, I don't see the authority section, either.

Note that your Pi-hole actually resolves the domainname to the URL in 23 msec! On my machine, I see 22 msec delay on the first try, and thereafter, I see 0 msec delay (the Pi-hole cached the result).

What does that mean? Home-Assistant on the same machine as Pi-hole? Or two machines with the same IP address?

You could change two settings here:

1. Specify the IPv4 address of your Pi-hole under Local DNS server rather than the Fritzbox itself
  2. Enable passing of the IPv6 prefix down to the network devices so they can do a proper selfconfiguration, i.e. try selecting the second (Assign DNS server and IPv6 prefix) instead of the first suboption

I did some tests and with only changing that first thing you mention it's working blazingly fast now!
Thanks for helping out!

Can I post my new screenshot in a certain topic where most Fritzbox users are likely to see it?

We have several FritzBox posts...I've added a fritzbox tag to this post so others can find it easily, but we'll need to go back and find the older posts to tag them.