IPv6 setup and Fritzbox

Hello, I've got a lot of reset connections and errors.
So I've decided to investigate and the problem is the IPv6 configuration.

From the output of pihole -d. We can see the error.
None of the addresses are seen by pihole as valid.

When I did my setup I used a static as I do with ipv4.
fdb4:2e:bf52:56d8::100

I edited /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf too.

This IP doesn't appear in the config.
I see the file /etc/network/interfaces is empty.

So silly question how do I reconcile the configuration?

My pihole acts as dhcp server.
On the fritzbox I did set ULA and set the DNS Server Ip to pihole fdb4:2e:bf52:56d8::100
I am not sure about the other options. What do I need to tick? no other dhcp in the network? M flag, M + O flags?

[https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/8cj35wkpsa

Your debug log doesn't show that address to be attached to your network interface.

You may verify active IPv6 addresses on your Pi-hole machine by running:

ip -6 address show enp0s4

You could consider using one of the existing IPv6 addresses, e.g. your fdb4:2e:bf52:56d8:ce74:3dcc:c118:a59c, and configure that as local DNS server in your Fritzbox.

Ok I get the idea but I wanted to have something simple so ::100 I knowing it's pihole as my IPv4 is .100
So I did it, now I've got a green check for IPv6 bound but I see I've got another problem.

The default gateway is incorrect. It sees a link-local IP. FE80:****

So what are and where are located the config files for the network?
The equivalent of /etc/network/interfaces?

Thanks

If you insist on using Stateful DHPCv6, you'd have to enable and configure your FB's DHCPv6 server to assign IPv6 addresses in your network. You could then supply a ::100 interface identifier for your Pi-hole device through FB.

I wouldn't encourage you to do so, as IPv6 is all about auto-configuration. Also, you won't be able to assign IPv6 addresses via Stateful DHCPv6 to those devices that don't support it anyway (e.g. Android supports SLAAC only).
I personally have never used FB in such a way, so you may want to verify that FB still offers IPv6 prefixes for those clients that use SLAAC or Stateless DHCPv6 to connect when FB is acting as Stateful DCHPv6 server.

That was the common way to configure your network with older Debian/Raspbian releases (Wheezy?).
That has since shifted to dhcpcd.conf (and wpa_supplicant.conf for additional wifi details). Some of the older guides and how-tos still available thus became quite confusing at least, if not obsolete.

However, I'd advise against setting up a static IPv6 address on device, unless you know what you're doing.

Why would that be incorrect?
At least the corresponding address from your debug log would suggest it belongs to your FB.

Yeah, my linux foo is rusty. That's the problem when you have learned something a long time ago.
Things change I don't mind but when you search using google and you still don't get the answer it is frustrating.

Well I did change the default gateway for the IPv6 address of the Fritzbox.

But there is something not working somewhere.
Example if I go to citrix.com the page doesn't load. Then all the sudden the page is loaded.
Very often I have to put "www" in front of the website to get the pages.

By the way, if I do nslookup google.com
I never have the name of pihole only its global address.
And Youtube is slow as hell on computers but fine on the TV???

I think the gateway is wrong because of this:

[i] Default IPv6 gateway: fe80::c225:6ff:feee:5b47
fe80::c225:6ff:feee:5b47
   * Pinging fe80::c225:6ff:feee:5b47
fe80::c225:6ff:feee:5b47...
ping6: fe80::c225:6ff:feee:5b47
fe80::c225:6ff:feee:5b47: Name or service not known
[✗] Gateway did not respond.

Thanks.

Ok, you said not to put a static IPv6 but there is a flow.
I had to update my nas and so I had to restart the vm with pihole.
The Ipv6 of pihole changed but Pihole doesn't see the change.

[✓] IPv6 address(es) bound to the enp0s4 interface:
fdb4:2e:bf52:56d8:7104:e7e6:92e0:8bce does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole)
2a02:a03f:a59d:5301:fb0e:a726:67f9:d49e does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole)
fdb4:2e:bf52:56d8:2a0:98ff:fe25:1d67 does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole)
2a02:a03f:a59d:5301:2a0:98ff:fe25:1d67 does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole)
fe80::2a0:98ff:fe25:1d67 does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf (Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole)

It's not pratical. It makes more sense to have a static ip.
So it stays the same in the fritz.box and /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

Beside the fritzbox has a security on the dns. It needs a "physical" confirmation. I can't do it every time the ip changed.

The computers see the new IPv6 as DNS.

Not quite, my advice is to not set up a static IPv6 address unless you know what you are doing.

Why would updating your NAS force a restart of Pi-hole?
Do you run a NAS like OMV on the same machine with Pi-hole?

By default, Raspberry Pi OS would determine an RFC7217 IPv6 address that would keep a stable interface id for each prefix acquired through a network interface.
Chances are that your VM software injects a new virtual network interface based on a random MAC into your VM any time it restarts, and that prompts Raspberry Pi OS to recalculate its interface ids.

It's good statics work for you as expected currently.

But from a broader perspective, and as you are running Pi-hole on a VM (which you didn't disclose before), I'd like to reinforce and extend my advice to not set a static IP for your Pi-hole VM, especially not via dhcpcd.conf from within a VM. This will prompt IP address conflicts when you start up a second identical VM, and it will not work at all in network environments different from the current one (e.g. if you plan to hand your VM image to a friend).

You could try to control your VM's behaviour instead, e.g. by assigning the static IP through some VM options, or by configuring a fixed MAC address for your VM's virtual network interface.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.