IPv6 not resolving hostnames

So I set up Pi-Hole to filter IPv6 DNS hostnames with the pi's DNS set to Cloudflare's DNS (https://1.1.1.1). My Pi itself has IPv6 access (ping google.com shows google's IPv6 address and traceroute works as well).

As for what actually is happening is Pi-Hole (or some setting on my Pi) might be preventing IPv6 DNS queries from "passing through." (I do have PiVPN installed).

Thank you for reading.

Debug Token: px3ydz8wjt

Do a traceroute on your IPv6 address (2605:6000:1500:83d4:1129:a2bd:9c48:fccd)

You can also try updating to Pi-hole 4.0

This was the result. I will update Pi-Hole when I get home.

Edit: I updated Pi-Hole to 4.0 and did another traceroute and got the same result (I also pinged my pi from my computer in cmd and it pings it but DNS still does not resolve; I am testing this by disabling IPv4).

Yup, I’m seeing the same thing. IPv6 addresses are not being resolved to hostnames. Trace route from windows, Mac and Linux boxes resolve correctly.

@Ryan1 make a new debug token since you updated Pi-hole.
@Ronnick make a debug token.

@Mcat12 81awt7i15k

What is the output of cat /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf

Cat output:
#RESOLVE_IPV4
RESOLVE_IPV4=yes

#RESOLVE_IPV6
RESOLVE_IPV6=yes

#AAAA_QUERY_ANALYSIS
AAAA_QUERY_ANALYSIS=yes

#PRIVACYLEVEL
PRIVACYLEVEL=0

token hiv9cjkvnj

I have no output.

The standard install doesn’t have anything that in the file. I purposely put those 4 options in just to see if it made a difference.

bump (just making sure this post is still active)

Make a new debug token, sorry for the late reply.

All good: 96ibkjkpab

You have IPv6 queries in the log, but the debugger was unable to resolve domains over IPv6:

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv6) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✗] Failed to resolve view.atdmt.com.70892.9519.302br.net via localhost (::1)
[✗] Failed to resolve view.atdmt.com.70892.9519.302br.net via Pi-hole (2605:6000:1500:83d4:1129:a2bd:9c48:fccd)
[✓] doubleclick.com is 2607:f8b0:4000:811::200e via a remote, public DNS server (2001:4860:4860::8888)

Do you have multiple network interfaces on the device?

Yes I do. lo, eth0, wlan0, and tun0.

Try going to the web interface settings -> DNS -> "Interface listening behavior" and set it to listen on all local interfaces.

I already have it set to listen on all interfaces and permit all origins (for the vpn).

bump (again, sorry)

What is the output of sudo netstat -tulpn | grep pihole-FTL