IPv6: How to deactivate only the assignment of /temporary unique local addresses/ (ULA) and to keep the /public/ temporary IPv6 addresses on macOS and Windows machines and possibly iOS devices?

My macOS and Windows machines and iOS devices have multiple temporary ULAs. I understand this is a privacy feature for all IPv6 addresses.

The issue is that my Pi-Hole cannot lookup host names for ULAs (for whatever reason, I’ve tried). Only explicitly listing the ULAs and their host names in /etc/hosts works. However, my macOS and Windows machines and iOS devices primarily use their temporary ULAs, which change regularly (which makes sense as a privacy feature).

I would like to keep the assignment of /public/ temporary IPv6 addresses but deactivate the assignment of /temporary ULAs/. Then I could enter the permanent ULAs into /etc/hosts and Pi-Hole would show the host names.

Is it possible to deactivate only the assignment of temporary ULAs on macOS and Windows machines and how?

What about iOS devices, possibly using profiles and Apple Configurator 2? I looked into it but didn’t find anything...

My router is a FRITZ!Box 7490. I only have an IPv4 Internet connection and use a 6to4 tunnel for IPv6. Any chance to deactivate only the assignment of temporary ULAs in the FRITZ!Box instead of on the clients?

I’m using a fresh installation of Pi-Hole 4.0 on a freshly set up Raspbian Stretch.

Are you using Pi-hole for DHCP? Otherwise, I don't see how this is a Pi-hole issue. I would ask whoever you are using for DHCP for how to use permanent IPv6 addresses, which are what ULA addresses are supposed to be.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.