iOS query type OTHER, Status: unknown(12)' blocking sites

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Long time user, first time poster!

After updating to PiHole 5.2.1+ FTL 5.3.2, some iOS Queries show up as Other, and Status as 'Unknown(12)', which is causing (or indicating that) sites that previously worked to 'stall' and not connect.
Link to others experiencing same issue on reddit here:

Thanks in advance!

Expected Behaviour:

website connect and load as expected prior to update

Actual Behaviour:

websites fail to load

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/bn4pld9se1

Why I try to look at the picture on the reddit issue, I get only Access Denied. Maybe because I have no account on reddit. Could you upload it over here?

Others than that, status 12 isn't unknown at all, so I'm not sure why your query log shows this. It indicates that this query was retried:

This has not changed in how it works inside Pi-hole, however, it has changed that Pi-hole simply displays retried queries as such. Before, they were simply green "forwarded" queries and you could not tell them apart.

Why do you see such an apparently large retired count?

Check out this discussion for a possible reason (manual network tweaking):

I’ll dig up the image from Reddit when I’m at my computer, but in lieu of that here’s a screen grab of the query log sorted by reason. You’ll notice this site was one of the sites blocked. Only when I deactivated pi-hole was I able to access this page. I looked at the possible fixes, but as I’m experiencing this issue on iOS I am unable to try the suggestion of disabling the windows tcp optimizer...

Update: this hasn’t yet been thoroughly tested, but the issue seems to be resolved (pun intended) by switching from openDNS to Cloudflare in the pihole upstream DNS servers settings.

@yubiuser has the answer. There is nothing wrong with your Pi-hole. Also not with those of the reddit guys (you may want to point them here).

The mere fact that the retried queries are gone after switching the DNS provider means that OpenDNS is apparently having issues serving replies to you within timely fashion.

1 Like

Now it’s happening with Cloudflare. Seems like this issue is more widespread than just one DNS server.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.