Intermittent internet connection after a while

Expected Behaviour:

DNS server to serve requests all the time

Actual Behaviour:

Resolution doesn't work after a whil

Debug Token:

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/vsumcwkdvf

Details:

Installed the latest Ubuntu Server LTS the other day with the latest PiHole. Worked with no issues, however, after a couple of hours it stopped serving DNS requests. WebGui not available as well. Restart of the network adopter fixed the issue. Then it happened again, and again. The odd thing is that when it happens for one device, another one works just fine at the same time. The affected one can ping the server. PiHole is installed on a VM. Problem not limited to specific device, happens for both, my laptop and my iPhone.

I have the VM Ubuntu Server set at the same static IP as the PiHole - seemed logical to be like that, could anyone confirm if that's okay to be like that or could be an issue?

I did notice the similar post from few days back, but in my case IPv6 has never been enabled.

Any ideas would be highly appreciated.
Thank you.

Nothing in your debug log shows a problem that might be causing this. You may have an intermittent issue with the VM.

When this happens again, look in the following logs for errors:

/var/log/pihole.log

/var/log/pihole-FTL.log

/var/log/syslog

Unrelated to this problem, but your debug log shows an error when compiling your regex - you have an invalid expression or character in line 2.

[2019-10-28 10:05:11.586 1309] ERROR compiling regex on line 2: Invalid content of \{\} (10)

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try as suggested, I'll also delete the regex - can't remember if it was there before the problem started.
I'd also have thought it would be an issue with the VM, but as mentioned, exactly at the time this happens to my laptop, the phone works, and vice versa.

Is it okay the VM and PiHole to have same IP - could that be an issue at all?

This is OK. Pi-Hole is an application and does not receive its own IP. It listens on the IP of the host.

Right, so I reinstalled the whole thing, including the VM and the result is pretty much the same.
I must admit that linux is not my strong suite, so any pointers on the below would be great. I have the feeling that the VM i sgoing into Sleep mode, but no idea how to confirm, check or change the settings. Anyone that knows if Ubuntu LTS goes to sleep by default and have had the issue? Is there a way for PiHole to keep it awake, maybe pinging now and then?

And it turns out it's my own stupidity - I forgot I have a DVR which of course happened to be at the same IP. I guess I'd expected Linux would tell you about network conflicts just as Windows does - too much?

All seem to be working okay now.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.