Install a pi-hole in my dorms

The issue I am facing:
I want to use a pi-hole in the University dorms. I do not have physical access to the dorms router.

Details about my system:
I need to connect my phone, tablet and PC to the pi-hole. Access to internet is done by connect with my university credentials.

I havent tried anything yet. Anyone ever done this?

If they allow "routers" on their network you could in theory setup a RaspberryPI router and then install PiHole on it. Then the devices that you want to connect go though the Pi before hitting University network. What I have found lately that many Universities have AP and Router detection and use countermeasure to disable such devices:

Are you going to use it alone or do you want to share it with other?

If you cannot configure your dorm router's DNS, you could still point each of your devices to Pi-hole for DNS, as most devices will allow you to manually configure DNS servers.

Make sure that Pi-hole is the only DNS server, and provide its IP address for IPv4 as well as for IPv6.

It's probably a good idea to configure your Pi-hole to use your dorm router as its only upstream DNS server, in case you're using campus services by names only known by a campus DNS server.

My suggestion if you can’t hook up your own router behind their router, would be nextdns, adhole, ahadns, or many other options for ad blocking….they won’t be as fast as a local pihole setup though…

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.