Inconsistent DNS resolution on new lookups?

Over the past monthish I've had a pi-hole running, I've noticed that at random, some websites I try to load will time out when going through the pi-hole on the first attempt, and load just fine a few minutes later.

This is especially common with sites I have not visited before and are not in the pi-hole cache. Pi-hole seems to often fail these lookups, but it suddenly works several minutes later?

I have it set to use google DNS, and I'm using the default ad lists.

I've been having a lot of trouble tracking down this problem, because it seems to only happen once and only on websites I haven't previously visited. My network did not have this behaviour before I installed the pi-hole.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I'm using a RasPi B.

It's especially been a problem with some iPad tv streaming apps (mostly Sportsnet Now).

For an example, I just restarted the pi-hole, and then pi-hole.net would not load. I had to set my computer to use google DNS directly to make this post.

What transactions are in /var/log/pihole.log for one of the failed requests?

Lots and lots of
Aug 21 21:18:07 dnsmasq[1394]: Insecure DS reply received, do upstream DNS servers support DNSSEC?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.