IGNORE_LOCALHOST is ignored

Since the last update yesterday the setting
IGNORE_LOCALHOST=yes
in /etc/pihole/pihole-FTL.conf
is ignored.
I have all the queries made by pihole itself in the graphs and logs again.

1 Like

I just checked the setting and it is still working fine for me. All queries coming from 127.0.0.1 and ::1 are ignored. Queries coming from the local IP address of the Pi-hole (e.g., 129.168.2.12) have never been ignored.

If you still see queries from 127.0.0.1 coming up, can you verify in /var/log/pihole-FTL.log that the following line has been logged?

[2020-11-30 19:04:47.349 15144M]    IGNORE_LOCALHOST: Hide queries from localhost

Hi
thanks for the reply. So I see now, that pi-hole uses the 'normal' mechanism for doing its queries? Calling the name servers as defined in /etc/resolv.conf?
I (and I think most users that want to suppress 'local' queries) just wants to see what's going on in the network so not seeing queries caused by pihole itself, rather suppressing all queries from localhost. Anyway ..
If I look into my resolv.conf (linked to /etc/resolv.conf -> /etc/resolvconf/run/resolv.conf) I see the Ipv4 address and the IPv6 ULA:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 192.168.40.2
nameserver fd42:0:0:40::2

Changing it to 127.0.0.1 or ::1 didn't survive a reboot. :frowning:

If I look into the pi-hole, the pi-hole itself is listed with its IPv4 and IPv6 ULA in the statistics, so it seems it is not doing the PTR requests with localhost.

For it worked with the last version, so I wonder where it now comes from. It may also be caused by an update of Raspbian ...

So, what to do now?

Did you do this?

Yes. We have seen this being necessary e.g. when running Pi-hole in docker containers because only the DNS server stored in /etc/resolv.conf know about the other devices on the network. Pi-hole itself is "isolated away" in its container (at least with the standard configuration).

They will come from how/where you defined the static IP address of your Pi-hole. Does changing them (even if only temporarily) change anything? I wouldn't expect this. Said option IGNORE_LOCALHOST is only ignoring queries made by localhost. Not though made to localhost.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.