If you have a firewall enabled on your Pi open port 443 if you get timeouts, it might help

I've setup pi-hole with a static ip on my LAN and pointed my Linux Mint 18 machine to it for DNS ( I also enabled DHCP on the pi-hole but disabled it since the problem persisted ). On blocked websites like google-analytics.com the blocked webpage from the pi-hole never shows up on GUI based web browsers (Chrome, Vivaldi, Firefox) and I get a timeout message instead. I try the same webpage on a text based browser ( w3m ) and the proper website blocked page from pi-hole shows up. I have to mention that my ISP changes my IPv6 address weekly thus I checked my /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf file and I changed the ipv6 to the one that the raspberry pi currently has and I ran pihole -g . I got a debug code [** 7nqpa4rigq **] through ssh ( I was not available to point my GUI laptop browser to a troubling website and I just surfed to google analytics from the pi itself ). I might have to run debug again in case nothing comes up on the log this time. I'm using static ip settings on my Mint 18 laptop that point directly to the pi-hole for DNS and I can't for the life of me figure out why I get timeouts ( especially on javascript heavy websites ) and not the empty page from the pi-hole. I've tried every idea mentioned here, restarted everything multiple times yet no dice. Any help would be greatly appreciated since it's been 3 days now that I'm looking for a possible solution.
Thanks in advance
Alexandros

Hey Alexandros,

we have discussed the issue of changing IPv6 prefixes extensively in this forum. Have a look whether you can enable ULA addresses in your network.

More information is available in this FAQ article:

After days of disabling all IPv6 references from raspberry pi, home router , Linux Mint laptop, web browsers and all I was still getting timeouts instead of the pi-hole landing page. I finally enabled port 443 traffic on the raspberry pi since I had ufw enabled and finally offending pages started giving me "This site can’t be reached, www.google-analytics.com refused to connect" messages immediately instead of timing out. Other pages that would load after minutes now seem to load immediately. Still I'm only getting the pi-hole "Website blocked" page on w3m and lynx text only browsers and not on Firefox or Vivaldi or Chrome.. This is just strange but I guess I'll figure it out, persistence is key.. Any ideas still welcome.

Oh, behold.. After a few restarts I tried visiting another blocked page ( http://www.googletagmanager.com/ ) and the Website Blocked pi-hole page finally showed up on Vivaldi. The google-analytics.com page stlll doesn't redirect to the block page but who cares. *Enabling port 443 on the Raspberry pi firewall was the missing hint.. I guess.

...and I finally read that trying to visit a a site like www.google-analytics.com will NOT display the block page no matter what here : https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/pull/961 . So my journey to make this work is finished. Interestingly I donated to the project the first day I installed the pi-hole without trying it first because I thought it had an ingenious way of working. Now that I finally got it to work properly I'll donate again to keep it alive. Thanks guys

Yeah, it has been discussed several times here, but it might not be at a prominent enough location so you missed it.
The problem is specifically that we cannot serve pages over HTTPS, because we would have to have valid certificates for the domains you visit which we (obviously) cannot have - only the original owners of the domains have them - HTTP S would not be secure otherwise :wink: