I can't be the ONLY one.. PiHole not getting requests, router set to route DNS to PiHole, websites still load

Can you either open the web admin panel and tail the logs via that or sudo tail -f /var/log/pihole.log when you ping a blocked domain? That will show if there are entries being added. Also if you have a connection, you can run pihole -d and we can look to see what the system looks like if you allow it to upload the logs. Otherwise you can read through /var/log/pihole_debug.log for a view of what we'd look at.

sorry about the long delay, real life happened, so here's what I've gathered so far..

I left this running and reopened the log while running a ping against flurry.com

$ sudo tail -f /var/log/pihole.log
Apr 24 17:17:14 dnsmasq[749]: started, version 2.72 cachesize 10000
Apr 24 17:17:14 dnsmasq[749]: compile time options: IPv6 GNU-getopt DBus i18n IDN DHCP DHCPv6 no-Lua TFTP conntrack ipset auth DNSSEC loop-detect
Apr 24 17:17:14 dnsmasq[749]: warning: ignoring resolv-file flag because no-resolv is set
Apr 24 17:17:14 dnsmasq[749]: using nameserver 8.8.4.4#53
Apr 24 17:17:14 dnsmasq[749]: using nameserver 8.8.8.8#53
Apr 24 17:17:14 dnsmasq[749]: read /etc/hosts - 6 addresses
Apr 24 17:17:14 dnsmasq[749]: read /etc/pihole/local.list - 2 addresses
Apr 24 17:17:14 dnsmasq[749]: failed to load names from /etc/pihole/black.list: No such file or directory
Apr 24 17:17:26 dnsmasq[749]: read /etc/pihole/gravity.list - 121666 addresses

here's the token for tricorder: 8o758ydtge interestingly it looks like the FTLDNS service isn't launching correctly at boot.

Nope you ar e not the only one... I've been battling similiar weird problems, but since I didn't do anything to the system, I can't help but wonder if my server for pi-hole hasn't been hacked somehow, or if perhaps someone has developed a pi-hole destroyer type ad? I don't know really, just guessing randomly at this point. I think I am going to completely reinstall ubuntu from the ground up. It was all working perfectly until a few days ago, since then I have no clue what has happened.

You are not on the FTLDNS beta, and are experiencing this issue:

3 Likes

well that was an easy enough fix! wow, ok that works now... and it appears that pi-hole is now blocking things correctly so that's fixed! thank you!

Sorry I havent been on here lately. I am glad you got it fixed though.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.