How to physically connect pi to modem/router

Hello,

I am new around here but I've tried to find the answer to my question (here and on various tutorials on youtube) and it seems every guide and tutorial concentrates on configuring Pi-Hole, but none on where to stick which cable in...

I am planning to use Pi-Hole (Raspberry Pi 3 B) in it's simplest use case, blocking ads etc. for my entire house network. My setup is that I have a modem/router from my ISP (let's call it a "modem"), which has wifi disabled and which is connected with an ethernet cable to a wifi router (Netgear), which provides signal for the entire house.

My simple question is - how do I physically connect Pi to work on my network? Do I connect it with an ethernet cable to the ISP modem or to the Netgear wifi router? Or do I not use the ethernet cable at all? My guess is that I need to connect it to Netgear with an ethernet cable. Am I correct?

I think I can figure out the rest (DNS etc.) (famous last words :wink:

Thanks!
IO

Your Pi and Pi-Hole join the network like any other client. They don't need to join at any particular location, they just need to be on the network. If you are intending to use ethernet to connect to the network, then connect an ethernet cable between the ethernet port on the Pi and your router or switch at the other end. In this case, you would connect the ethernet to the Netgear router, since this is doing the routing function.

That Pi model also has the option of wireless connectivity, but if you have available ethernet space then ethernet is the preferred option (easier to set up, generally more reliable).

Great! Thanks a lot for the clarification.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.