How to launch Pi-hole on Google Cloud Platform with DNS for Android Pie

Hey community and fellow patrons!

I created a tutorial not too long ago on how to launch a Pi-hole in Google Cloud Platform and also add support for DOH and DOT, to work with Android Pie. The video is HERE

What do you see as the advantage of running this on a cloud at $4.25 / month as opposed to buying a Zero/card/power supply for $15 and running it locally?

1 Like

@jfb Some users just prefer the cloud :frowning: There are a ton of pros to having in the cloud such as:

• Dedicated IP Address, don't have to fiddle with Dynamic DNS
  • Accessible Anywhere
  • Reliable, like 100% uptime...
  • Free from corrupt SD cards, power failure, etc.
  • Ability to share with others without an advanced firewall or expensive router
  • Can be used by other VPS clients, etc.

I personally run all of mine locally, but I have had them in the cloud at some point in time before :slight_smile:

To accomplish this, are you modifying the firewall rules to allow new IP's to access the cloud device?

Are firewall rules more secure than having a VPN?

Well, it is easier to configure the DNS servers on routers than on a per-client basis such as via VPN, such as with SDN solutions like Ubiquiti Networks' UniFi. Keep in mind that a Pi-hole instance in the cloud can be used for more than Pi-hole, and some users are likely to run more services on a VPS. There are some situations where it simply would not make sense to run Pi-hole locally and rather have a managed instance for less tech-savvy clients.

@jfb I agree that running Pi-hole locally is the best solution! It practically pays for itself. I run two instances myself across two locations. It is very useful to monitor and lock down an IoT network.

You are showing people how to not become a dns amplification node right?

I hope so, it's free.

1 Like

Well everyone is going to need to find hardware to run it on, even an older raspberry pi works, a VM, etc. Users are always encouraged to donate :purple_heart: