How to analyze a device in my network?

Hi, I have issues running webradio on my Sony MT-HT500 soundbar with Pi-Hole running. This soundbar uses Chromecast for webradio stream that was started on the mobile phone.
I works for about 30 minutes with Tune-In Radio and then the stream is interrupted. It seems like the SB has lost connection to the phone. Then you would have to kill the app and start over with the stream.
I can't get Radio.de running at all, the stream just does not start.

What I already tried is to unblock each domain one-by-one that is called by the soundbar. It get more and more but it never worked 100%.

If i turn off Pi-Hole, both webradios work normally but are of courese overloaded with adds....

In the first place I would like to learn how to analyze the Soundbar-Device (or the mobile phone?) properly in order to find out which addresses need to be whitelisted.

Especially I would like to get radio.de working, since there are a couple of stations that are not available in tune-in.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: I just found this:

However, I am not sure to analyze the mobile device app or the soundbar, on both I cannot use the browser tools.

If you can't use the browser tools on a device, as in your case, then you use the query log and the pihole.log. The pihole.log has more detail than the query log, but the query log shows more information on each line. Use them both.

You may find that the DNSThingy extension can help as well. Load the site in question in Chrome browser on a computer with DNSThingy, and you will see the domains requested. Use this as the starting point in your analysis of the logs. Note that apps on mobile or soundbar might use different domains, but it's a start.

Thank you, @jfb :slight_smile: Is there a way to "focus" on single IP addresses and anlyze only that?

You can use the query log - in the search box search for that client or click the client name in the client list. These will filter and show you the traffic from that client only.

Similar for the long term database, you can filter that by client as well.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.