How do I block a particular site

I would like to block all of the add on thechive.com; however, when I take thechive.com out of the whitelist, I get an Apache error saying that everything is working just fine.

Do I just keep it whitelisted and simply use another ad-blocker to compliment?

Thanks!

I just opened this page. It is neither black- nor whitelisted on my Pi-hole. Never accessed this page before. Everything in my Pi-hole is default, otherwise.

I don't see any ads I think...

Could you expand on your particular situation?

Ok, I don't get it! Tested it this morning and I'm getting the same results as you are!

I guess it's the normal IT solution... have someone repeat your problem and it's magically fixed!

Thanks for checking in on it!

@Firemanjoe
To demystify that a bit: Modern browsers usually do some sort of DNS caching themselves. If you whitelist certain domains on your Pi-hole your browser might still use DNS records it cached some time ago instead of querying the correct data from your Pi-hole. That often leads to those magic fixes as, at some point in the future, the DNS cache of your browser expires and it will query the Pi-hole - leading to the expected result.

On Chrome you can can flush the DNS cache here:

chrome://net-internals/#dns

I am using Safari on my Mac and my wife is using Chrome. So I'll keep it in the whitelist and I'll just use another ad-blocker to help me out!

Thanks for the help!

@Firemanjoe I don't understand what you mean? Might be that there is something obvious that gets past me but why do you want to use another adblocker? Do you see something different than what I see (screenshot) or is this not what you would expect to see or...?

On Safari / Mac, I use this to flush the dns cache:

#!/bin/bash

sudo dscacheutil -flushcache
sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist