How can I use PureVpn with pi-Hole installed?

Hello everyone.

This is my first post and I'm a newbie Pi-hole user. Installed Raspian on to my little Pi Zero W about a month ago, and then proceeded to install Pi-hole. All went well, and have the Zero connected via ethernet cable directly to my router (Asus RT-AC86U). Hardware and software work exactly as advertised and am VERY happy with it.

Today I tried to use PureVPN through my Firefox browser addon, and it didn't work. I know the problem is my setup of Pi-hole and my router, but I'm not sure what to do. Currently have Pi-Hole as the primary DNS through my router (assigned 192.168.2.247 in this case), so all devices in my household have to go through that first. That is, router is set-up as DHCP for everyone in the house and they ALL go through Pi-Hole.

I've Googled the hell out of this and am really confused as what to do. Only use PureVPN occasionally, mostly to access Netflix USA from here in Europe. Don't want or need it on 24/7. So how do I do this? How do I get Pi-hole to work with PureVpn only sometimes? Can someone throw me a rope here? Thank you!

debug token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/kl0s3uhu1q

Gary Seven

When you use a VPN server, your DNS automatically moves to the DNS of that provider, to avoid DNS leaks (where your traffic is hidden in the VPN tunnel, but the DNS traffic is outside the tunnel).

Ok. So guess I have to turn off the Pi-hole, go into my router and reassign normal DNS access as things were before my Pi-hole install, just to use PureVPN? Is that what I'm hearing?

No. If a client joins a VPN, that client typically will not use Pi-hole for DNS while on the VPN. When the VPN connection is released the client goes back to using Pi-hole for DNS.

I'd also (and maybe primarily) inquire with the folks of PureVPN.

It's a paid service, it seems, so they should be able to provide you with details on how they handle DNS and how and if they allow to tailor DNS resolution to your specific needs.

Well ok, I'll do just that. I thought to come here first because I thought I can't be the only person on the planet with this issue. So off I go then.

No worries - your question will stay here, attracting users that might have relevant information. If someone can contribute further to your issue, I'm sure she or he will - the Pi-hole community is a helpful place. :slight_smile:

In the meantime, if the advice already given doesn't apply or doesn't satisfy you, try to find out through other channels. And if you succeed, please come back and share your findings - and of course, potential supplementary questions would also be welcome.

SOLVED.

I'm VERY sorry to have wasted people's time here. After messaging back and forth with PureVPN it seems the username log-in credential they assigned to me since the beginning was changed by them ever so slightly about a month ago. As I don't use the vpn service with any regularity, I didn't notice it until I tried the last couple of days. Yes, I can indeed use the service with Pi-Hole up and running.

Thanks to all that replied and once again, sorry for wasting your time. :frowning_face:

Hi

So what exactly have you done to get your use of PureVPN to go via PiHole ?

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.