How can I enable pi hole for only specific devices from the admin console?

I have a Roku stick, and it doesn't let me configure the dns server client side. I can set the pi hole as the dns server on the router, but that sets the dns for all devices. How can I have all devices use the upstream server but my roku stick get the pi hole features?

Hi,

you can use the group management link on the left side. Add a new group, add all clients beside the Roku to this group. Furthermore, to this group no adlist should be added, the Roku should be added to the default group with all adlists. This should solve your problem.

KR Martin

Provided your router allows you to distribute Pi-hole as local DNS server via DHCP, you may be able to employ Pi-hole's client-specific filtering to address your issue (using group management as Martin_Stumpf has explained).

If your router just allows you to configure Pi-hole as its upstream DNS server (commonly, a WAN or Internet option), then Pi-hole would see all DNS requests as originating from your router. With only your router as a client, you would be unable to make use of Pi-hole's client-specific filtering.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.