Host nameserver behavior in V5

The following feature does not seem to work:

Pi-hole no longer changes the nameserver assigned to the Pi (in /etc/resolv.conf). The existing nameserver settings for the Pi-hole host are respected and unchanged.

In fact pihole simply stops logging any requests if I change /etc/resolv.conf to anything other than 127.0.0.1. All my requests are shown as coming from the local host, regardless which machine they come from.

So not only is /etc/resolv.conf overwritten, it must be overwritten. This is a step backwards from before where it was overwritten, but you could restore it afterwards.

Please post the token generated by

pihole -d

or do it through the Web interface:

Tools > Generate Debug Log

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/xrp5xxrb6d

https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/6wnd77is1p

Here is an example when I login to nas1.docbill.info:

As you can see it shows all the queries coming from nas1.docbill.info and localhost. Even though I can see pihole filtering is working normally on all my devices.

And here is what I see on the host:

briemers@nas1:~ $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 127.0.0.1
search docbill.info

Now it turns out this is because I have the host configured with:

interface eth0
        static ip_address=172.31.253.1/22
        static routers=172.31.252.1
        static domain_name_servers=127.0.0.1

But when I tried to change it to 8.8.8.8, I found the number of queries processed by pihole dropped to 0.

I change the static line, did a reboot and it seems to be working now with the resolv.conf containing:

# Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)
#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN
nameserver 172.31.252.1
nameserver 2001:1970:50ec:b000::1
search docbill.info

I'm guessing the most important step was the reboot.

Is your problem now resolved?

It looks resolved to me:

The updated stats are now reporting as everything coming from my router. But I think this is correct, as the way the asus router seems to be working is it tells all devices that it is the DNS sever, and then it redirects traffic to my pihole servers. So unless I have pihole take over as the dhpc server, that is seems like the best the pihole server can do.

Check below:

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.