Hide/Block HTTPS Requests

It hides both types of queries.

It may be unique to iOS devices, however, they are very common devices. Unfortunately, when you have 6 iOS devices, this appears within the query log quite often.

As far as asking for apps to update, it's happening on so many apps. Are we asking any app that uses app-measurement.com to update the SDK? It's not limited to one or two apps.

I understand you don't hide root server queries. This would help keep the query log clean and easy to view. It's not something that would need to be a default option, but would be nice if there was an option to hide A query's showing HTTPS in the query log.

It does not. The setting in the Pi-hole Remote app only hides queries of type HTTPS. The queries you see with the leading https:// are type A queries.

It was hiding it for me. There was a new release today, not sure if this behavior changed. If you are the developer of the app, thanks! This is how I thought of the idea because of it being hid via the app.

Even if it is not hiding it now, I was using this as an example of what could potentially be added.

I am not associated with that app in any way, although I do use it. It has no method to not display type A queries that lead with https://. It has the option to not display DNS queries of type HTTPS (since July 2021).

That's already possible:

Interesting issue. Instead of an option to hide queries with specific hostnames (which is already possible via generic filter, as stated), an idea would be to hide failed queries with invalid hostnames in general, i.e. which contain invalid characters like slashes /. But I'd still be against it to encourage users debugging the faulty client. I mean you might have found a bug in an iOS core library here which may be responsible for a lot of unnecessary traffic and system loads all over the world :wink:. So this should possibly be reported to iOS devs :thinking:.

1 Like

I fully agree. Even more because

so this is affecting a really large number of devices and generates a lot of useless traffic. It's always hard to get any real numbers but the energy this extra traffic is wasting may even compare to the energy demand of several households. We are used to pay Internet as a flatrate price these days, however, it should not be forgotten that the entire Internet infrastructure uses a lot of energy.

Back in 2011 (ten years ago), Raghavan and Ma estimated

the Internet uses 84 to 143 gigawatts of electricity every year, which amounts to between 3.6 and 6.2 percent of all electricity worldwide. Taking emergy into account, the total comes up to 170 to 307 gigawatts.

and more recently,

The Internet will use a fifth of all the world’s electricity by 2025

(source).

For the price you are paying for Apple products, I expect no less than exceptional and user-friendly support.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.