Help understand the difference between Exact and Wildcard/regex blocking

Hello,

Can someone please provide examples that show the difference in blocking using exact and wildcard/regex?

Case1:

I understand what the Exact does. If I add "adservice.google.com" as EXACT then it will only block "adservice.google.com".

But what if I want to block anything that has the domain "adservice.google.com" in it?
for example, xyz.adservice.google.com or "ANTHING".adservice.google.com?

I have been doing this by typing "adservice.google.com" in the search bar on the pihole blacklist page and then I click on wildcard or regex but I am not sure if this way is even correct.

Case 2:

What if I want to block anything that has "adservice.google.com" in it? in other words, "adservice.google.com" could be at the beginning, or in the middle or at the end of the domain that I am trying to block?

Case 3:

What if I want to block a domain that has a specific word but that word could be at the beginning of the domain or middle or at the end?

For example, I wand to block the word "hsd1" but the domains that could have this word might have it at the beginning, middle or end

xyz.hsd1.com
or xyz.com.hsd1
or hsd1.xyz.net

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.