Going to give Pi-Hole a try, what Linux and Pi?

Hello,

1. I'm looking for something that can help protect my home network better and mobile devices in the house and remote too (which I think it possible?)
  2. It seems Pi-Hole is a good choice, although someone mentioned Firewalla are they similar?
  3. I have a Pi3 and 4, but they are in-use, would my spare Pi2 be ok for this?
  4. What flavour of Linux are you using to run this?
  5. Can PiVPN or similar run on the same Pi?

Thanks and sorry for all the questions.

Pi-Hole will run fine on a Pi2. Most Pi users run Raspbian. I would do a clean install of Buster and put Pi-Hole on that.

You can run a VPN on the same Pi. Many users use OpenVPN to remote DNS traffic back to their home Pi-Hole when not on their home network.

https://docs.pi-hole.net/guides/vpn/overview/

All up and running thank! I will check the OpenVPN option out.

I see some add custom blocklists, is the worth doing or ok to stick with the default ones?

Adding blocklists is a personal choice. I run the default lists and am satisfied with them. If you add some, ensure they are properly formatted for Pi-Hole (hosts format).

The lists from waLLy3k are known to be compatible with Pi-Hole.

Edit - note that adding more blocklists will result in more false positives, which can cause annoyance and frustration on the part of your network users. You may want to locally block undesired domains with either blacklist or wiildcard/regex entries. This puts you in control of what is blocked and you are not at the mercy of a list maintainer.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.