Get current (and latest) Pi-Hole/Web Interface/FTL version information via API

Is there a way to get the current (and latest) version information for all core Pi-Hole components so

• Pi-Hole
  • Web Interface
  • FTL

using the API? According to Pi-hole API this seems to be impossible right now.

I´m looking for a smarter way than chopping strings output of "pihole -v" to get those 6 needed information. Thought API would be the best place to look at...

Other ideas welcome. Otherwise I´ll need to start the string chopping action.

Final goal by the way is to get the current and latest Pi-Hole components version information available in Home Assistant. Once a component has an update available, a notification will be sent and the update can be triggered - completely remotely (by using SSH). Unfortunately current Pi-Hole integration in HA is far behind this, so I´m building it on my own.

I don't think so.

Part of this information is already available in the new API which is currently in development and will be part of Pi-hole v6.0

__

BTW:

Don't forget to pull, send and read the release notes as well.

P.S. You can subscribe to Pi-hole updates by mail at the bottom of the page: Blog – Pi-hole

Thanks. That new v6 API looks promising, definitely something I could work with.

So for the moment (as I don´t know what´s the time schedule for major 6 version) I´ll stick with the pihole -v output. Which will hopefully (likely?) continue to work with next major release so my work/time is not wasted :wink:

I´m done meanwhile hacking pihole -v. I use Perl based RegEx directly in grep command instead of handling fixed character cut mechanism so it´s more flexible (v5.9 or v5.9.1 or v5.99 or... - everything will work as long as the basic structure of pihole -v output will be unchanged).

Pi-Hole current --> pihole -v | head -1 | grep -oP '(?<=\is v)(\d*\.)+(\d*)'
Pi-Hole latest  --> pihole -v | head -1 | grep -oP '(?<=\: v)(\d*\.)+(\d*)'

Web current     --> pihole -v | head -2 | tail -1 | grep -oP '(?<=\is v)(\d*\.)+(\d*)'
Web latest      --> pihole -v | head -2 | tail -1 | grep -oP '(?<=\: v)(\d*\.)+(\d*)'

FTL current     --> pihole -v | tail -1 | grep -oP '(?<=\is v)(\d*\.)+(\d*)'
FTL latest      --> pihole -v | tail -1 | grep -oP '(?<=\: v)(\d*\.)+(\d*)'

Maybe someone else can use it for other stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.