General new user question about leaning

Apologies to restart this topic - I was curious if there is any documentation for someone new to start and play/mess around with things?

I can get the docker container up and running. Should I just mess with the code and see what happens ?

Anyway to make it so it’s only affecting the local machine it’s running on ?

A mod can split the topic and make this into a new one. It's worth going through the forum tutorial; see your messages for one from discobot who will guide you through the features.

Simplest way is to install Pi-hole on a supported OS with a static IP configured. Use the Docker image if you're familiar with Docker and that's easier. It's commonly installed on a Raspberry Pi running Pi OS.

Once it's up and running it's a DNS server on your network. Manually point a machine at it for DNS and now you can play with it from just that single machine. Or if you're more relaxed about it affecting the whole network, have your DHCP server give out its IP as the DNS server and let all your clients use it and do it that way instead.

The blocklists at https://firebog.net are a good way to get extra lists; the green ones give good results with no hassle. Take a look at Pi-hole's menu and the Adlists screen for how to add those. Have a play with all the menus, there's a lot of features there. Take a look at the pihole command on the command line too, that can do a lot of the same things.

Once you're more familiar with it, consider adding Unbound as your own private recursive resolver, which will give you more privacy than using an external DNS server. Or maybe a simple VPN so you can have Pi-hole blocking unwanted domains from anywhere.

Take a look at the Documentation. Search this forum and the Reddit for previous posts on any questions or ideas you may have, chances are it's been covered as both are active communities. Have fun seeing what's going on your network!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.