FTL update checksum mismatch (Beta v6)

I'm currently on v6 beta after a fresh install on my RaspberryPi. It has been about a week since then. Every time I try to update, I am getting the error below:

[✓] Detected AArch64 (64 Bit ARM) architecture
[ i ] Checksums do not match, downloading from ftl.pi-hole.net.
[✓] Downloading and Installing FTL

Even though the update goes through successfully, this error comes up every time. I have googled for this issue but found threads going back v5 Beta.
Is this error beta specific? If not, then what can I do to resolve this?

Thanks.

It seems there are was issue with the automatic binaries built for arm64 as the checksum does indeed not match the built binary. I triggered a re-building which will generate all files anew. Thanks for letting us know. Ideally, this should not happen any longer as of roughly now plus 30 minutes.

1 Like

Thanks for looking this up. Unfortunately, I'm still receiving the same error. I have updated at 5:50 am UTC.
Here are the versions listed at the end of update:

Core
Version is v5.17.3-295-g0635ea74 (Latest: null)
Branch is development-v6
Hash is 0635ea74 (Latest: 0635ea74)
Web
Version is v5.19-682-g00304273 (Latest: null)
Branch is development-v6
Hash is 00304273 (Latest: 00304273)
FTL
Version is vDev-93d01d9 (Latest: null)
Branch is development-v6
Hash is 93d01d9c (Latest: 93d01d9c)

Am I still missing something?

Can you please post a debug token URL? Run pihole -d and allow for the log to be uploaded.

Hi Dan, please find the log at https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/PfjDUbHk/ (also attached)

and just to add, I got the checksum error today as well. I have generated the log right after the update.

Edit: Debug log file removed for privacy.

Note:
No need to post a copy of the log.

1 Like

I don't really know what is going on here, we can easily check that the checksums of the files offered on the binary bucket indeed match upstream:

$ sha1sum pihole-FTL-arm64
ee0d1833ab50a98f0f72c1fe300fe251a1c41e44  pihole-FTL-arm64
$ cat pihole-FTL-arm64.sha1 
ee0d1833ab50a98f0f72c1fe300fe251a1c41e44  pihole-FTL-arm64

In fact, all of them do:

$ sha1sum -c *.sha1
pihole-FTL-386: OK
pihole-FTL-amd64: OK
pihole-FTL-arm64: OK
pihole-FTL-armv4: OK
pihole-FTL-armv5: OK
pihole-FTL-armv6: OK
pihole-FTL-armv7: OK
pihole-FTL-riscv64: OK

Could you run this locally, to see what the output is?

sha1sum $(which pihole-FTL)
ls -l $(which pihole-FTL)

Thanks once again for looking into this. Below is the output for both the commands:

pi@rpi:~ $ sha1sum $(which pihole-FTL)
ef6a6ae68ae4e2a4e8ef548e46fdc9456264ec35  /usr/bin/pihole-FTL
pi@rpi:~ $ ls -l $(which pihole-FTL)
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 23032416 Mar  8 11:38 /usr/bin/pihole-FTL

Checksum is indeed different from the one on the server. My only guess is that the installer is not fetching/installing from the server during update.

BUT..... there is a bigger problem that I'm facing now. Today the update failed completely as pihole failed to connect to the pihole server.

On digging a bit deeper I found out that my rpi has stopped resolving DNS completely inside the local raspbian instance.

All devices on my network are able to resolve the DNS properly through pihole and the same can be seen on the pihole admin dashboard.
I haven't touched my rpi at all except updating the pihole daily. I'm not sure if this is even related to pihole installation or not. Do I need to freshly install raspbian/pihole? Forgive me but my linux/shell knowledge is quite limited.

Great news! Because of the above issue I googled, and someone somewhere mentioned to just save and update DNS settings on the router. When I did so, it actually resolved the DNS issue on the rpi. Frankly, I'm not sure if that is a raspbian bug or something.
The important thing is that, it resolved the checksum issue and now it finally matches with the server. Quite some learning and revelations for me in this whole saga.

Thanks everyone for looking into this issue!

1 Like

Thanks for coming back to us and glad it is resolved! So far, I'm not quite sure what the issue was looking at the code, I could imagine that failing to download the checksum may have caused this. I propose the following change that will - at the very least - be clear about that the checksum failed to download:

1 Like

Currently getting checksum error here as well for FTL:

[✓] Checking for user 'pihole'

[i] FTL Checks...

[✓] Detected x86_64 architecture
[i] FTL binary already installed. Confirming Checksum...
[✗] Corruption detected, redownloading binary...
[i] Downloading and Installing FTL...pihole-FTL-amd64: FAILED
sha1sum: WARNING: 1 computed checksum did NOT match
[✗] Downloading and Installing FTL
Error: Download of https://ftl.pi-hole.net/development-v6/pihole-FTL-amd64 failed (checksum error)
[✗] FTL Engine not installed

Unable to complete update, please contact Pi-hole Support