FTL service is offline every reboot. Ubuntu 18

I am running Ubuntu 18.04.1 and I installed Pihole without much trouble. The trouble started though when I rebooted. After I restart my machine (every time) Pihole stops working . When I check under the web interface - settings - it says FTL service is offline! . The only way to bring that service online is to issue the command sudo service pihole-FTL restart . `sudo service pihole-FTL start does not even work. sudo service pihole-FTL status returns the following:

ason@linserv:~$ sudo service pihole-FTL status
sudo: unable to resolve host linserv: Resource temporarily unavailable
[sudo] password for jason:
● pihole-FTL.service - LSB: pihole-FTL daemon
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL; generated)
Active: active (exited) since Sat 2018-08-18 11:28:03 EDT; 1min 13s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 928 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL start (code=exited, status=0/SUC

Aug 18 11:28:02 linserv systemd[1]: Starting LSB: pihole-FTL daemon...
Aug 18 11:28:02 linserv pihole-FTL[928]: Not running
Aug 18 11:28:02 linserv pihole-FTL[928]: chown: cannot access '/etc/pihole/dhcp.
Aug 18 11:28:03 linserv su[1089]: Successful su for pihole by root
Aug 18 11:28:03 linserv su[1089]: + ??? root:pihole
Aug 18 11:28:03 linserv su[1089]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user
Aug 18 11:28:03 linserv pihole-FTL[928]: dnsmasq: unknown interface eno1
Aug 18 11:28:03 linserv su[1089]: pam_unix(su:session): session closed for user
Aug 18 11:28:03 linserv systemd[1]: Started LSB: pihole-FTL daemon.status says

The dnsmasq: unknown interface eno1 is drawing my attention. Is it possible that dnsmasq is trying to use eno1 before it is even up and running (just guessing here I have limited knowledge on linux)

I googled a lot and found this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dnsmasq/+bug/1531184 seems kinda like it could be the issue. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Note: I have already tried the -r option and also just removing and reinstalling.

I kinda applied some duct tape and got it to work after reboot

I just did a crontab -e and added

@reboot sleep 5 && sudo /usr/sbin/service pihole-FTL restart

Whats interesting is that if I don't do the sleep 5 it will not work. I wonder at what point in the boot is the crontab executed. I also wonder if my NVMe drive is to fast and causing this issue. So I am at the point where I know how to get it to work but not really the why.

2 Likes

Yes, this is very likely the case. The bug report you linked is likely the same thing, however, we still do not use a systemd based service file which would indeed prevent this error from happening. Also asking for @DanSchaper's opinion here.

Sysvinit runlevel 3 should already have the network interface up before any daemon initialization happens. This is the first time I've seen this particular error, but we may be able to address this by changing # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 to be 3, 4, 5 instead?

I changed the /etc/init.d/pihole-FTL Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 to 3 4 5 . I am not sure if that is what you wanted to try out but it did not work.

I'm on raspbian jessie, and was having the same issue. Editing crontab as described worked. However, I added the following to sudo crontab -e instead of just the user crontab -e:

@reboot sleep 5 && /usr/sbin/service pihole-FTL restart

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.