FTL RISC-V builds/support

Hey guys, we're currently adding support and testing a first RISC-V SBC and recognised that Pi-hole cannot run on it yet, because there are no RISC-V FTL builds.

I didn't have a closer look into it yet, but probably it is quite simple creating them with a related RISC-V build container. I will look into this tomorrow and probably open a PR, but wanted to open the request already.

Need to be able to build the ftl binary and then detect when to use it in the installer.

Exactly. uname -m returns riscv64, for the installer part. For the build part, I will look into your build scripts/workflows tomorrow, probably I can come up with something.

1 Like

Any recommendations which board to get in case we need to assist in troubleshooting on the device itself at some point?

I've seen announcements about the Star64 RISC-V being available in November or so but I'm not seeing that it could actually be ordered from the Pine64 store.

The Visionfive2 RISC-V seems to be available only directly from China right now with shipping times of over one month and potentially extra customs fees on top.

The StarFive VisionFive 2 is what we currently use, the PINE64 Star64 looks very similar, same SoC etc. Since we/I have not much experience with RISC-V either, I cannot really recommend something. We are happy to help with testing.

It is all very early development stage, many hardware features do not work yet, the kernel provided by StarFive is also built with a rather small set of features only (no container engines supported etc), even HDMI is currently broken. But they are in the process of mainlining it, and an SBC by PINE64 will further push mainline support, that is good.

At least Debian RISC-V support is only accessible via Debian ports with Sid/unstable suite, so not possible to install Pi-hole with without passing the unsupported distro variable. Ubuntu however provides Images even down to Focal for some RISC-V boards. It probably makes sense to put Pi-hole RISC-V build behind a similar flag or prompt, making clear that it comes with no guarantee and no guaranteed support, at least until RISC-V support has been more/stable established among major Linux distributions.

So I'd see it as a step to enable developers and RISC-V enthusiasts to test with more popular software to detect quirks in their distro or Linux build.

PRs up for:

FTL CI depends on base container builds, which cannot cannot run, since forks have no access to secrets. I'll try to test the contained builds on a VM locally, and probably it makes sense to merge it into a feature branch of your repo first, where actions can run.

Thanks, I've already tested your container locally (I first tried an outdated version so ignore parts of my comment - I removed them after I realized you force-pushed). Using your proposed container (with a small change, see over there in the PR) I can successfully build binaries and also the arch tests all pass but I obviously cannot test if the binaries really works on native hardware.

Tested successfully and uploaded a debug token, see here: Add RISC-V 64-bit container builds by MichaIng · Pull Request #63 · pi-hole/docker-base-images · GitHub

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.