FTL offline and API disconnected, running alongside qbittorrent web-UI, failed to create listening socket for port 53

Expected Behaviour:

Pi-Hole working after first time installation, FTL on, API working.
Also: qbittorrent-nox web-interface working as usual under port 8080

Actual Behaviour:

the pihole-FTL service is running and asking for its status gives me this:

Jan 13 23:50:44 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Starting LSB: pihole-FTL daemon...
Jan 13 23:50:44 raspberrypi pihole-FTL[3552]: Not running
Jan 13 23:50:44 raspberrypi su[3578]: Successful su for pihole by root
Jan 13 23:50:44 raspberrypi su[3578]: + ??? root:pihole
Jan 13 23:50:44 raspberrypi su[3578]: pam_unix(su:session): session opened for user pihole by (uid=0)
Jan 13 23:50:45 raspberrypi pihole-FTL[3552]: dnsmasq: failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use
Jan 13 23:50:45 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started LSB: pihole-FTL daemon.

The curious thing about this status report is that it says port 53 is already in use, but the log from "pihole -d" says that it's in use by pihole-FTL (If I have read it correctly).

The Pi-Hole Admin console says "FTL offline" and the API connection is lost.

If I try to log into my qbittorrent web-interface on port 8080, I can load the initial login page, but nothing happens if I press login. This has been the case ever since I first installed pi-hole, and disabling the pi-hole hasn't fixed it. Disabling qbittorrent also hasn't fixed any of my pi-hole issues.

I have also tried restarting pihole-FTL, rebooting the system, updating the system, to no success.

Debug Token:

vkggcdfsb0

Thank you so much in advance!

Make sure nothing is running on port 53, and kill anything that is.

1 Like

I figured out that unbound was running on port 53.

tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:53 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 645/unbound

After killing the process everything works now. Thank you very much for your time.

I wonder though why unbound was running on that port, I have no idea, I never set anything like that up...

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.