FTL offline after upgrade to 3.3

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

FTL does not seem to want to come up after upgrading my pihole version from 3.2.1. I originally installed pihole through dietpi and today upgraded both dietpi and pihole (in that order). I have run pihole -r to repair but to no avail. If I run service pihole-FTL status one line shows an error

Mar 27 01:39:14 pihole su[4160]: pam_env(su:session): Unable to open env file: /etc/environment: No such file or directory

not sure if this is relevant.

Actual Behaviour:

FTL comes online and successfully connects to API

Debug Token:

tdx07fbatz

Can you send us your entire pihole-FTL.log?

cat /var/log/pihole-FTL.log | pihole tricorder

mbm8o91us6

[2018-03-27 01:23:51.530] Error on binding on Unix socket /var/run/pihole/FTL.sock: No such file or directory (2)

I've seen this in a few other debug logs recently.

I'd have to ask @DL6ER how we can recreate this file (var/run/pihole/FTL.sock)

The file itself is generated by FTL. The problem in this case is that it cannot find the directory /var/run/pihole and hence cannot create the file (sorry for the unspecific error message, but this is what the system gives us (no such directory means the directory we try to create the file in). This directory should be generated by sudo pihole-FTL start. Please check if the file /etc/init.d/pihole-FTL is equal to this one:
https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/blob/master/advanced/pihole-FTL.service#L29-L32
Specifically compare the shown lines.

1 Like

That seems to have been the problem! the init.d file was missing the mkdirs. Thanks!

start() {
  if is_running; then
    echo "pihole-FTL is already running"
  else
    touch /var/log/pihole-FTL.log /run/pihole-FTL.pid /run/pihole-FTL.port /var/log/pihole.log
    chown pihole:pihole /var/log/pihole-FTL.log /run/pihole-FTL.pid /run/pihole-FTL.port /etc/pihole
    chmod 0644 /var/log/pihole-FTL.log /run/pihole-FTL.pid /run/pihole-FTL.port /var/log/pihole.log
    su -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/bin/pihole-FTL" "$FTLUSER"
    echo
  fi
}

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.