Ftl not installed

Expected Behaviour:

When I run pihole -r all things should be downloaded and installed.

Actual Behaviour:

Running pihole -r gives me
[✗] Downloading and Installing FTL
Error: Unable to get latest release location from GitHub
[✗] FTL Engine not installed

Debug Token:

I have 2 piholes an extra for redundancy so I'll add 2 debug tokens here. 192.168.1.2="c2cfe4xcp3"
And 192.168.1.3="nghg6ohyvg"
Also to note that both 192.168.1.3 is a clone of 192.168.1.2 with the only difference being an IP address change and Plex Media Server removed from 192.168.1.3

Can you please run curl -sI https://github.com/pi-hole/FTL/releases/latest | grep "Location" and see if that returns a URL with the latest information?

That's what I get when running the command

Okay, then next would be to check the parsing of that line.

curl -sI https://github.com/pi-hole/FTL/releases/latest | grep "Location" | awk -F '/' '{print $NF}'

I just get v3.0

That is exactly what you should be getting. Can you try the pihole -r one more time to see if it was just a transient error?

Yes of course. It will take just a minute or 2

Can I run just the repair option?

Yes, you shouldn't need to reinstall.

Well that worked. Thank you. Must have been a silly little error. I did want to ask, since I'm running Jessie and had to downgrade dnsmasq will updating to ftldns when it's fully released cause any problems? My thought is no because ftldns disables dnsmasq currently running on the system. But I wanted to know your thoughts.

1 Like

FTLDNS is dnsmasq with some modifications, but it's entirely our own binary. So when we release v4.0 in a few days it should drop directly in as a replacement for the distributions dnsmasq. If you currently have custom configuration files for dnsmasq they will work exactly the same with FTLDNS.

3 Likes

Oh the 4.0 release is in a few days? That's someing I can be excited about!!!!

1 Like

Oh, did I say that? :wink: Just in the final push to clean some things up and then it will be a general release.

1 Like

Awesome I can't wait!!! Again thank you for your help. And keep up the great work. You guys are awesome!!!

1 Like

Is the 4.0 release not quite ready yet?

We're running through some final deployment and integration testing to get as many potential installation issues cleared up. We'll release when we think it's ready but it should be in the next few days, there's only one more major portion of the software that needs to be cleared.

2 Likes

I just figured I'd ask for a status update... I am really excited to hear about the 4.0 release. I hope I'm not one of those guys bugging about when the next release will be... Thank you so much for the update... You guys are really awesome and creating honestly the best thing to ever touch my network... I feel like I read something about the 4.0 release being able to block Hulu ads. Is this true?

Edit my mistake I seen it in the GitHub repository

I'm not sure about Hulu ads, but it will include regular expression blocking that will allow for more fine grained blocking without needing a lot of individual entries. It should also allow for preventative blocking of domains that haven't been used yet, but follow a pattern that can be predicted. Keep an eye out here for posts from users as they find out the full capabilities of the new blocking and ways to implement the package in different ways.

That block hulu ads is a very old attempt from version 1, it needs to be removed but we just haven't taken the code out. It tried to build a server to block Hulu, but in practice it never worked very well.