FTL failed to start with port 53 in use -- but pihole works...?

Hello All - I'm running docker pihole (latest) and i'm seeing this curious behavior where in the pihole web UI I'm seeing the little exclamation mark triangle on the top right end with repeated warnings like so:

2022-04-19 17:39:36 DNSMASQ_CONFIG FTL failed to start due to failed to create listening socket for port 53: Address already in use

Yet if I check the Query Log, all seems fine. Queries are coming in from clients, and get responded to appropriately.

Anyone has ideas?

I think that what ever DNS server already bound to port 53 is answering the client queries. FTL won't start if it can't bind to port 53.

But isnt the fact that queries show up in the pihole log reflecting they are indeed processed by FTL? It also shows up as started successfully in the logs. Almost as if two of them tried to start

Run a pihole -d and we'll see.

Ha - As it happens I was indeed running two pihole but that was due to using the ubuntu snap for docker and not properly uninstalling / disabling the system docker. All good now.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.