FTL daemon fails to start after reboot but works fine when sudo pihole-FTL is ran

deHakkelaar Here ya go. (i'm new so not able to do @)

Also, so far everything has been working fine. I'm waiting for a pi-hole update to see if an update will break me again. So far apt-get update/upgrades are fine.

root@Pi-Hole:~# ps h -o user,group -C pihole-FTL
pihole   pihole
root@Pi-Hole:~# getpcaps $(pidof -s pihole-FTL)
Capabilities for `2496': = cap_chown,cap_net_bind_service,cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice+ep
root@Pi-Hole:~#

I've also copied down this post to ensure if it does break again, I have a way to get it back. I bet it something to do with the Ubiquiti cloud key and Ubiquiti's kernel implementation (just a guess). I've been tempted to upgrade to the latest debian kernel but that may stop me from recovering the cloud key if I ever want too so I've not gone that far.

Buster + very old PH version v5.3.1 still using init.d:

pi@ph5a:~ $ getpcaps $(pidof -s pihole-FTL)
cap_net_bind_service,cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw,cap_sys_nice+ep

After updating and now using the /etc/systemd unit instead:

pi@ph5a:~ $ getpcaps $(pidof -s pihole-FTL)
cap_chown,cap_net_bind_service,cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice+eip

Bullseye + not so old PH version v5.12.2 still using init.d:

pi@ph5b:~ $ getpcaps $(pidof -s pihole-FTL)
cap_chown,cap_net_bind_service,cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice=ep

And below is yours for Buster that we modified to use init.d:

root@Pi-Hole:~# getpcaps $(pidof -s pihole-FTL)
cap_chown,cap_net_bind_service,cap_net_admin,cap_net_raw,cap_ipc_lock,cap_sys_nice+ep

I havent figured out what those eip flags at the end mean and if they matter... yet:

pi@ph5a:~ $ man getpcaps
[..]
       Each clause consists of a list of comma-separated capability names
       (or the word `all'), followed by an action-list.  An action-list
       consists of a sequence of operator flag pairs.  Legal operators
       are: `=', '+', and `-'.  Legal flags are: `e', `i', and `p'.
       These flags are case-sensitive and specify the Effective,
       Inheritable and Permitted sets respectively.

This post was so helpfull! I had my pi-hole not working since January Qnap LXD Container with Pihole not working after update

Thank you so much!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.