FTL 3.0 fails to restart on Raspbian Jesse

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

"sudo service pihole-FTL restart" should restart the service

Actual Behaviour:

"sudo service pihole-FTL restart" fails to restart the service and "service pihole-FTL status" returns - rm: cannot remove ‘/var/run/pihole/FTL.sock’: No such file or directory. I've confirmed that /var/run/pihole/FTL.sock does in fact exist and is owned by pihole.

However, if I "sudo reboot" the pihole-FTL service starts as expected.

Subsequent restarts of the pihole-FTL service via "sudo service pihole-FTL restart" fails with a status message of rm: cannot remove ‘/var/run/pihole/FTL.sock’ message.

Dnsmasq and FTL were listed as offline in the pihole admin web console after upgrading to pihole 3.3, . The pihole admin web console was also missing information for total queries, queries blocked, etc.

The dnsmasq offline issue was resolved by upgrading dnsmasq via the instructions located here - Install a more recent dnsmasq on Raspbian Jessie

The issue with the pihole web console not displaying data was resolved by clearing Chrome's cache and reopening the pihole admin web console.

After clearing Chrome's cache, the FTL no longer showed as being offline in the pihole admin web console, however "service pihole-FTL status" showed FTL as being offline with a status error message rm: cannot remove ‘/var/run/pihole/FTL.sock’: No such file or directory. I confirmed that /var/run/pihole/FTL.sock does in fact exist and is owned by pihole.

However, if I "sudo reboot" the pihole-FTL service starts as expected. Subsequent executions of "sudo service pihole-FTL restart" leaves the service un-started with a status message of rm: cannot remove ‘/var/run/pihole/FTL.sock’ message

sudo reboot again and the pihole-FTL service starts.

Seems perhaps the service restart command is broken. Also, "sudo service pihole-FTL stop" and "sudo service pihole-FTL start" fails to start the service and returns a status message of rm: cannot remove ‘/var/run/pihole/FTL.sock’ message

Debug Token:

g0msrtms4s

Unrelated, but you have an IPv6 address set in Pi-hole but there are no IPv6 addresses on the device.

Does your /etc/init.d/pihole-FTL match this file?
https://github.com/pi-hole/pi-hole/blob/master/advanced/pihole-FTL.service

IPv6 is now enabled on the device. Thanks for calling this out.

The contents of my "/etc/init.d/pihole-FTL" matched the contents of the one you posted.

Curious, does the pihole-FTL service show as started when you "sudo service pihole-FTL restart" and then "service pihole-FTL status"?

The service now seems to be restarting as expected. Unable to determine if enabling IPv6 resolved the service restart issue. The service restart issue no longer occurs if I disable IPv6. Very much appreciate you taking the time to look at this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.