FilterLists

Just stumbled across this site hosting a huge number of lists for blocking purposes, now we have a UI for adding filter lists to Pi-Hole it is easy as Pi to increase blocking capabilities :slight_smile:

https://filterlists.com/

1 Like

Most of these lists need to be parsed/filtered.

These lists are designed to block more than just domains.

Using these lists will cause alot of legitimate websites to stop working.

If you are interested, there are easyish ways to parse these lists.

Yep, I just discovered I broke Windows 10 store and the MIcrosoft site already

Any way to search the current hosts file and find which ones are breaking it without removing all the filter lists and starting fresh?

Yes I'd be interested in parsing the lists

EDIT - Fixed my broken things via the query log

There's pihole -q to query if you know the domain that is in question. And there is a tool in the web interface to query the lists and see if your needed domain is being blocked and should also report which list its on.

1 Like

Just this second edited my post :slight_smile:

Used exactly that, the query log to whitelist blocked MS domains, thanks

1 Like

I should have more time after the weekend to give you a proper tutorial on parsing.

But for now, if you want to make an attempt on your own,,,,

https://github.com/deathbybandaid/piadvanced

Within my piadvanced script is a folder called pihole tweaks. There are a few different ways to parse lists within there. (Ideas borrowed from Reddit and here.)

What would also be beneficial for you to learn, is using git to push files up to a repository. You could then share the parsed lists with the community.

On a side note:

https://github.com/deathbybandaid/pihole-whitelists

This repository is full of commonly whitelisted domains. (Sorted by service) You might save yourself a bit of headache in the long run by preemptively whitelisting things you never want to stop working. For me, that was Plex.

This is how much I'm currently blocking with my pi3:

Thanks, I had a play about with the scripts, but tbh I don't know enough about Linux to make any use of them

I tried on an Ubuntu VM with Pi.Hole installed, but the install script just said it couldn't find any of the dirs it was looking for

I'm a Windows guy with enough Linux knowledge to get very frustrated with it :smiley:

I haven't tested my script on Ubuntu, just Debian Jessie.

Theoretically it should work similarly, but some of the sources might not work.

Edit: did you git clone with the directory /ect/piadvanced ?? If not, that would cause it to fail hard.

sudo git clone https://github.com/deathbybandaid/piadvanced.git /etc/piadvanced/

How i Can add this lists?

I tried but it said 'git not recognised as a valid command' or something along those lines

I guess that's where everything went wrong then lol

Try running

sudo apt-get install -y git

This repo will help you parse as many lists as you want.

is it possible that you make a list ore post your domails in a list so we can use them to ?
would be great :wink:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
git is already the newest version (1:2.11.0-2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

EDIT - Hmm, just tried sudo git clone https://github.com/deathbybandaid/piadvanced.git /etc/piadvanced/ again and this time it worked,,,

No idea why, but I`ll have a play with those scripts again now

EDIT - Script works, but I don't really have any idea what I'm doing with it, looks like it sets up a massive amount of things for a new install of Raspian or whatever flavour linux you're using, all I want is to add blocklists to the already installed pihole hosts file

That piholeparser script looks useful but how is it any different to what Pi.Hole already does? When I add a blocklist URL to PiHole it seems to do the same thing as that script?

That's actually something I was thinking about doing. I almost have a seperate parser that will do all of the filterlists individually. I just have to figure out how to automate uploading them somewhere.

That's essentially what the big script does.

the piholeparser script, I copied back from my piadvanced into its own repository. What it does is helps prevent against false positives.

1 Like

Gotcha thanks

So when I add filter lists from the OP into Pi.Hole directly using the settings UI, and it says it has added them, and my blocked domains list grows, is Pi.Hole formatting them correctly for the hosts file, or could it be adding them as they are raw from the filter lists?

Example some of the lists are set out correctly like:

127.0.0.1 somedomain.com

But others are formatted with only the URL, or with other characters too such as:

somedomain.com
||somedomain.com

And other different non hosts style formatting

Is pi hole adding these correctly, or just filling the hosts file with useless entries that won't be working?

I'm not sure precisely how pihole gravity parses offhand,

Is there a way to view the active hosts file running on pi.hole?

WinSCP or something maybe?

/etc/pihole/gravity.list is the compiled hosts file showing the domains and the IP they will be redirected to.