Fierfox or chrome connecting to sites not visited

Please follow the below template, it will help us to help you!

Expected Behaviour:

[Query log should show the sites visited]

Actual Behaviour:

[I reïnstalled my RPI, everything clean. On the query log I notice sites I have visited in recent weeks. My guess is that the browser is walking along the cache and is confirming the sites in its cache. I don't know much about browser behaviour, think I have learned something. Can someone with more knowledge explain or show a site where it is explained?]

Debug Token:

[https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/lc6k0uyduv]

Can you provide us with more information? Screenshots or specific examples help.

Looking over the debug log I do see that IPv6 is misconfigured, but I don't think that relates to this issue.

*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Networking
[✓] IPv4 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
   192.168.2.1/24 matches the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVars.conf

[✗] No IPv6 address(es) found on the eth0 interface.
*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Name resolution (IPv6) using a random blocked domain and a known ad-serving domain
[✗] Failed to resolve l7gfihdr-site.1tempurl.com via localhost (::1)
[✗] Failed to resolve l7gfihdr-site.1tempurl.com via Pi-hole (2a02:a443:REDACT)
[✗] Failed to resolve doubleclick.com via a remote, public DNS server (2001:4860:4860::8888)
*** [ DIAGNOSING ]: Setup variables
    PIHOLE_INTERFACE=eth0
    IPV4_ADDRESS=192.168.2.1/24
    IPV6_ADDRESS=2a02:a443:REDACT

I had switched off ipv6 for testing, that's not important.
I have been reinstalling my RPI and yesterday evening around midnight it was finished.
In the query list from today there are several sites of which I'm quite shure I did not vist since yesterday and I know I visited those recently and those are on my query list.
The cyclos-thonon.fr must have been 1 or 2 months ago.
I scrolled today's history both for Chrome and Firefox, nothing. It is access from my computer.

So that's where my curiosity is triggered.
Are the caches in Firefox and Chrome being refreshed?

I don't think so, it's possible but I've never seen it myself in any setup. What OS is on the computer requesting the domains?

I'm trying to access the chrome cache, cannot find it in the Firefox cache, Windows 10.
Sorry cannot view the Chrome cache, encrypted.

Now that you're here, are you able to give me a quick fix for this?
I mean the not corresponding ipv6 address? The fe80::dcbb:db81:6664:569c
It isn't mentioned at all in setupVars.conf, just the ipv4 address and the 2a02:a443:8cfd:1:f3a4:a8ab:5ccf:45ae

[✓] IPv6 address(es) bound to the eth0 interface:
   2a02:a443:8cfd:1:f3a4:a8ab:5ccf:45ae matches the IP found in /etc/pihole/setu                                                                                         pVars.conf
   fe80::dcbb:db81:6664:569c does not match the IP found in /etc/pihole/setupVar                                                                                         s.conf (https://discourse.pi-hole.net/t/use-ipv6-ula-addresses-for-pi-hole/2127)

^ Please note that you may have more than one IP address listed.
   As long as one of them is green, and it matches what is in /etc/pihole/setupV                                                                                         ars.conf, there is no need for concern.

The link to the FAQ is for an issue that sometimes occurs when the IPv6 addre                                                                                         ss changes, which is why we check for it.

I think this is related to browser's link and dns prefetching behavior.

Have you maybe stored bookmarks to these domains on your browser's startpage or do they show up as suggested sites there?

For firefox you can check their knowledge base about prefetching.

First, note that it is common for devices to have multiple IPv6 addresses.
You can list all of them associated to your Pi-hole's eth0 interface with

ip -6 addr show eth0

Yours above is a public IPv6 address (as identified by fitting the global unicast range 2003::/3) and as such, its ISP provided prefix might change when your router's IP address gets renewed (happens customarily, e.g. once every 24 hours for private lines in Germany). And you don't want your Pi-holes address to change at all.

Using the non-routable link-local IPv6 address (as identified by fitting the fe80::/10 range) would suffice in a simple network where all devices are on the same network segment (so no clients behind additional routers, access points, L3 switches,...), so could well fit your needs.

If your router supports it, consider configuring an IPv6 ULA prefix (for the fd00::/8 range) that will be picked up by your devices (including Pi-hole), is visible throughout your home network and won't change (unless you change it in your router, of course).

Read more about this at Use IPv6 ULA addresses for Pi-hole.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.