Enabling per-host tracking with Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

I'm a new Pi-Hole user; my basic setup is working very well, but I'm having trouble with a simple issue that I haven't been able to figure out by looking at many different posts around the topic.

I have a single subnet, at 192.168.1.0/24; my EdgeRouter Lite is at 192.168.1.1. I have Pi-Hole (4.2) running in a VM at 192.168.1.24. If I point any individual device to use the Pi-Hole for DNS, it works fine, and turning on Conditional Forwarding in Pi-Hole to point to 192.168.1.1 with the correct domain does resolve the names on my local network. Sending all DNS traffic to Pi-Hole, by clicking the "System" button in the bottom left of the EdgeRouter interface and setting 192.168.1.24 as my System Name Server also works; all devices use the Pi-Hole. So far so good, except that, as expected, the Pi-Hole shows all traffic as coming from the router.

(I'm not asking about forcing all devices to use the Pi-Hole; various posts talk about that, but I'm not there yet.)

Now I just want to have per-host tracking on the Pi-Hole. I want to continue using the EdgeRouter for DHCP.

The FAQ entry suggests the option "Advertise Pi-hole’s IP address via dnsmasq in the router", but it's not clear to me how to do this. I have enabled dnsmasq on the EdgeRouter, via "configure"; "set service dhcp-server use-dnsmasq enable"; and "commit; save" in the EdgeRouter CLI, as instructed in their FAQ. However, I don't know how to do the rest of the setup. Can someone give me a push in the right direction? I'm happy to provide additional details of my configuration, though I think I've given the necessary bits. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.