Enable/disable whitelist item does not work after update

Hi all,

I updated my pihole software on my RaspberryPi 4 to:

• Pi-hole [v5.11.4]
  • FTL [v5.16.1]
  • Web Interface [v5.13]

and noticed that when I tried to enable a whitelist item in order to report a spammed web site that it didn't work. I had to re-add the item in order to have it be enabled. I then updated the Pi fully and rebooted to see if there was something cached or otherwise hanging on. There was no change. Prior to this update, I could update a whitelist item via the web interface (enable/disable, add a comment, etc.), the effect was immediately visible to a ping or nslookup.

This is the output from the pihole's console demonstrating this current bad behavior:

pi@ThePiHole:~ $ pihole -w --list | grep ojrq
  40: www.ojrq.net (enabled, last modified Wed, 20 Jul 2022 11:17:56 -0700)
pi@ThePiHole:~ $ ping www.ojrq.net
PING www.ojrq.net (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.091 ms
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.048 ms
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.092 ms
^C
--- www.ojrq.net ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 78ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.048/0.077/0.092/0.020 ms
pi@ThePiHole:~ $ nslookup
> server
Default server: 127.0.0.1
Address: 127.0.0.1#53
> www.ojrq.net
Server:		127.0.0.1
Address:	127.0.0.1#53

Name:	www.ojrq.net
Address: 0.0.0.0
Name:	www.ojrq.net
Address: ::
> exit

I'm surprised that it hasn't been noted if it is widespread, but maybe it's just my installation? I am also running unbound to act as my own local DNS so pihole is going against 127.0.0.1#5353 for lookups.

Thanks,
Dan

Did you use the 'whitelist' menu to enable/disable them?
If so, you're affected by Domains edited from Black/Whitelist page lose Group assignment · Issue #2260 · pi-hole/AdminLTE · GitHub

To workaround until the fix is released: use Group management/Domains instead of Black/Whitelist

1 Like

Yes, yes I did use the web interface to enable/disable whitelist entries. There doesn't seem to be a way of enable/disable in the shell using pihole -w short of deleting and adding it back either. I may have missed it of course.

Thank you for letting me know. I'll go look at that issue entry, then try and learn about the group management section of the web interface now when I need to enable a site to get a spam redirector site working temporarily again in order to report the redirector chain and target.

There is no direct Pi-hole command to enable/disable them. You could add/delete them if no specific group assignments are needed.

rockpi@rockpi-4b:~$ pihole -w test.com
  [i] Adding test.com to the whitelist...
  [✓] Reloading DNS lists
rockpi@rockpi-4b:~$ pihole -w -d test.com
  [i] Removing test.com from the whitelist...
  [✓] Reloading DNS lists
rockpi@rockpi-4b:~$ 

Or you modify the database directly via SQL where you can change the enable/disable status.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.