Effective ways to test PiHole?

I've just finished installing Pi-hole on my RPi and have configured it to run as my DHCP server. All wifi devices have been rebooted, so hoping to understand some ways that i can look to test the effectiveness of Pi-hole?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to being a part of the community.

From a client that you expect to use Pi-hole, run the following commands:

nslookup pi.hole

That should return your Pi-hole's IP, and that IP should also match that of the server at the start of the very same reply. If so, it confirms that your client is using Pi-hole as DNS server.

nslookup flurry.com 192.168.0.xx

Replace 192.168.0.xx with your Pi-hole's actual IP address before executing.
That should return 0.0.0.0 with a default Pi-hole, which confirms your Pi-hole is blocking domains.

1 Like
nslookup flurry.com 192.168.0.18
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
Server:  UnKnown
Address:  192.168.0.18

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to UnKnown timed-out
1 Like

i'm comfortable that Pi-Hole is installed and operating correctly. just wondering where i should expect it to work? Ads on websites should no longer visible. Any other benefits of using pi-hole?

(You can format your output for readability by using the </> Preformatted text menu option. I've just done that for your above command output. :wink: )

I would feel uncomfortable in your place, as your command shows Pi-hole is not working as expected.

What's the output of the first nslookup?

1 Like

Run a debug log, and examine the contents. Near the top there is a section where Pi-hole tests itself.

You can also upload the log when prompted and post the token here so we can examine the log as well.

nslookup flurry.com
Server: raspberrypi
Address: 192.168.1.18

Name: flurry.com
Addresses: ::

looks like its working fine now. the debug log is massive, do i need to post it if i'm getting these results?

Your Pi-hole appears to be working.

You don't post the log. You would post the alphanumeric token that lets us find your log.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.