Easiest Install Option to Test Pi-Hole

I was trying to figure out the best place to post this, and didn't want to clutter Help topics since I'm not needing help with an install just yet. Ok, for the 30 second background. I recently retired an old Odroid C2 that was acting as a Kodi device in my theater, and was looking for something to repurpose it to do. Pi-hole came up in my searching, so started digging in, and liked the idea. But... as I kept digging and reading, I fell further down the rabbit pi-hole (couldn't resist) about if it's worth it, how much effort, and so on. So, before I go to the trouble of reminding myself how to set up a new image on the odroid, not to mention reminding myself how to SSH in, and finding a place to stick it and connect to network, and all that fun, I thought it might make more sense to do the simplest/easiest/fastest setup of Pi-hole just to try it out and see if I want to go with it. Now then, all caught up. To that end, I have 5 devices (including the Odroid) that I could run this test on, so I'm trying to figure out which would be the easiest to get up and running, and be able to test all of the features and functions.

Main PC - Windows 10, R5 3600, 32 gb ram. Main daily box, bit of productivity and some gaming. It's not a mission critical machine, so a little performance hit running pi-hole short term wouldn't kill me.

Dedicated Plex Server - Linux Mint, i7-4790, 16 gb ram. Plex server, streaming and transcoding, fairly active box as it does a fair amount of transcoding, but unless I've got multiple 4k transcodes going on, it has some headroom. Admittedly, I last used any flavor of Linux regularly around 15 years ago, so I barely know enough to be dangerous. I chose it for the Plex server as I didn't want to pay for a Windows license just for that.

Two Synology NAS servers - 916+ and 418. 916 serves as the media storage for above mentioned Plex server (plus some direct streaming from Kodi). 418 is a backup/storage server for PCs and such (not a ton of activity). Neither currently has Docker installed, but that would be easy enough I suppose.

Odroid C2 - current image is a LibreElec build for Kodi, so would need to start from scratch.

So for those platforms, is there a super-mega-easy-so-easy-a-child-could-do-it-in-30-seconds method to get pi-hole up and running to test on my lan? I'd prefer to test at the lan level to see how things work across a multitude of devices (PCs, phones, tablets, streaming devices, etc...).

You spent more time writing this than it would have taken to actually just install things.

2 Likes

curl -sSL https://install.pi-hole.net | bash

Ahh, you say that, but are apparently underestimating how much I've forgotten the Linux OS. First attempt gave me an unsupported version warning (Linux Mint 19.3 btw), so I tried the suggested Skip OS Check, which at least let the install start and prompt me for the setup pieces (just followed defaults, and I already have a reserved IP for this box), but then it stopped with:

Error: Could not update local repository. Contact support.

Took me a few minutes to figure out I selected the wrong network interface in the setup run (didn't even notice this box had 2 interfaces to be recognized to begin with).

So that definitely took longer than typing the first message. :smiley: But I think I have it at least running now.

Linux Mint is indeed unsupported.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Raspberry Pi OS Support