Dot attack or dot domain cant remove

hello eveyone, Im not sure. what attack i get. I cannot add the dot domain to the blacklist. I'm blocking the ip address with iptables, but it doesn't come to an end. wait for your suggestions. thank you.

pihole -v

Pi-hole version is v5.1.2 (Latest: v5.1.2)
AdminLTE version is v5.1.1 (Latest: v5.1.1)
FTL version is v5.2 (Latest: v5.2)

[image]

1 Like

It's the root domain, you can't block it.

Your post seems to suggest you are running an open resolver, you shouldn't need iptables, just disconnect the client from the lan.

1 Like

Thank you very much sir DanSchaper.

I prefer to be open to the internet. I installed it on a vps server for my members in the forum. but I want it to be open only to those who know the ip address. Is authorization possible? Have an advice? thank you.

This creates an open resolver, which is going to lead to nothing but trouble. Your open resolver will quickly be found by internet scanners and put to no good use, and you may find that your VPS service drops you as well.

The secure method for hosting Pi-hole on a VPS is with closed ports, a VPN server on the VPS and using VPN on clients to connect to the Pi-hole instance.

1 Like

Establish a VPN network.

Open resolvers are a bad idea - they can be used in amplification attacks.

This provides only a false feeling of security. Bots will find it anyway.

1 Like

I'll be blunt, it's my job.

If you don't know what the root domain is then you shouldn't be running a DNS server for anyone else.

2 Likes

Getting root queries for the ANY record is pretty much saying that you are being used in an active dDOS against the root servers.

Shut everything down and learn what running a public DNS server entails.

1 Like

Thank you for your interest, sir DanSchaper.

You forgot your /s.

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.