Does anyone have instructions sending traffic indeed device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com to a local server

So I know someone on the forum has done this before. But I would like to router traffic from
device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com to a local server instead of blocking it because I'm tired of seeing the echo ping so often on the network but I don't want to hand anymore data over to amazon.

How would routing this to a local server resolve the problem of seeing the pings on the network? How will your local server provide the information that the Echo is looking for or trying to exchange?

The excessive Phoning home on echo dots is due to the domain being blocked. So right now it tries to phone home at a rate of 20hz which is excessive I don't want the traffic to go to amazon but blocking it seems like the wrong approach since it just makes the client try to phone home more and more. Not sure if changing the blocking mode will make the client try to phone home less often but right now it generates a lot of traffic on the network

I"m assuming the echo is just looking for a 200 response to know the server has accepted the message

That seems a lot. I have a handful of Echo devices on my network and block the domain device-metrics-us.amazon.com with a different result. The devices query once every few minutes.

24 hour total with seven Echo devices active.

This is with one echo device that is used once in a blue moon

That's a lot of queries. I don't have a good solution for you.

I'm thinking that maybe changing my blocking mode currently (NXDOMAIN) will help out

Can create a "Local DNS Record" on the admin page.
Enter that domain and IP where needs to go.
Maybe you have to whitelist that domain for it to not get null routed as it seems to be on the default lists:

pi@ph5:~ $ pihole -q device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com
 Match found in https://raw.githubusercontent.com/StevenBlack/hosts/master/hosts:
   device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com
1 Like

Try this and see if this makes the device happier.

I don't want to allow amazon to collect the metrics. I would have to setup some sort of server to accept the traffic. I'm just not sure if there is an easier way to hush the device up

Set a Local DNS Record for device-metrics-us-2.amazon.com with an IP of 192.168.1.100 (or whatever) and see. Put up an HTTP server at that IP address. Likely Amazon has coded things to require https as shooting metrics over plaintext is a risky endeavor. If it is htttps then you're probably out of options.

Edit: Or try NULL blocking instead.

No change by changing the blocking mode to NULL or NODATA

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.