Docker pihole-FTL failed to start - no such file /etc/dnsmasq.d/sed*

I'm trying to get pi-hole running on my Late 2014 Mac-Mini (Intel core i5, 8 GB RAM, macOS Monterrey v12.6.3) by using Docker's pi-hole image. I'm using a docker-compose file mostly copied and set up from the GitHub page here.

However, after I run docker compose up -d and access the admin console (which is also somehow only accessible from the machine running docker), I see the message "Lost connection to API". When I open the "Pi-hole diagnosis" page, it has the message: "DNSMASQ_CONFIG - FTL failed to start due to cannot access /etc/dnsmasq.d/sed8jlRXR: No such file or directory".

I took a look at the /etc/dnsmasq.d/ directory with the ls -l command, and the sed file exists, but has weird file properties/permissions - it has all question marks "?" for each field.

Can you help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Here's my docker-compose.yml file (sensitive info redacted):

version: "3"

# Example taken from the README in pi-hole's github

services:
  pihole:
    container_name: pihole
    image: pihole/pihole:latest
    ports:
      - "53:53/tcp"
      - "53:53/udp"
      - "80:80/tcp"
    environment:
      TZ: 'America/Denver'
      WEBPASSWORD: 'password'
      WEBTHEME: 'default-dark'
      FTLCONF_LOCAL_IPV4: <my-ip-address>
      DNSMASQ_LISTENING: all
    # Volumes store your data between container upgrades
    volumes:
      - './etc-pihole:/etc/pihole'
      - './etc-dnsmasq.d:/etc/dnsmasq.d'
    restart: unless-stopped

Here's my debug token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/BVelKxaj/

UPDATE (1 week later)
Since it looks like the debug token expires after 48 hours, I'll post a new, unexpired debug token: https://tricorder.pi-hole.net/Y55NO3aq/

There shouldn't be any sed files in that directory.

Sounds like a filesystem error or corruption. Remove the host directory and try again or change your volume mount to a different directory to try again. Any file in /etc/dnsmasq.d/ will be read by the daemon for configuration information so if you put an errant file in there it will cause a failure to start.

That did the trick, thanks!!

I was creating a volume in my docker-compose for the /etc/dnsmasq.d directory - after I removed this line from my docker-compose file, removed the existing volumes for the container, and restarted the container, the issue was resolved!

Haha it's not blocking ads though - I think it's a problem with configuring my CenturyLink C4000XG router. I can submit a new ticket for that if I can't figure it out - for now, I'm gonna try to disable DHCP on the router and use pi-hole's DHCP features instead.