Do I still need browser ad blockers if I use Pi-hole?

Pi-hole works great on it's own to block ads for most people. However, you may still see benefits of using a browser-based ad blocker. Many of our users use Pi-hole + uBlock and they work very well together.

Pi-hole doesn't remove the empty space from ads, so you may still see big empty areas on Webpages. Most browser ad-blockers can help clean this up, which is a solid use-case for running both.

Running Pi-hole plus a browser extension also gives you a layered approach to blocking: Pi-hole will stop what it can, and if something gets through your browser extension might pick it up.

An argument against using both is that Pi-hole only needs to be installed one place, whereas browser extensions need to be installed to each device.

In the end, it really depends on your preference; there's no right or wrong answer. Experiment with different combinations and see what works best for you.

I have added the uBlocker lists to the PiHole, from here:

Also, to deal with the white squares in place of ads, I have switched to the beta branch:

Null blocking works the best for me.

I am still using uBlock on my devices, just for extra insurance. On some pages I have it turned off, because it is detected.